1. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    13 Feb '20 14:21
    @moonbus said
    Good point. There is no way of telling whether a given player is delaying moving because he is ill, or because he's studying the position, or whether he is employing the time-tested strategy of hoping his opponent will get hit by a bus.
    There are other reasons too many of which I've heard such as going through a divorce, someone in family died, a child is sick, etc., etc., we can never assume anything about why a player has timed out in many games unless we have all the facts. Unfortunately we only have their word on what is going on, or did happen.

-VR
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Feb '20 10:47
    @very-rusty said
    There are other reasons too many of which I've heard such as going through a divorce, someone in family died, a child is sick, etc., etc., we can never assume anything about why a player has timed out in many games unless we have all the facts. Unfortunately we only have their word on what is going on, or did happen.

-VR
    Rusty, I think that player's word should be good enough, don't you?
  3. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    15 Feb '20 11:18
    @very-rusty said

-VR
    This is wisdom.
    2017 was one such year for me.
  4. Joined
    03 Apr '19
    Moves
    16 Feb '20 15:331 edit
    I wouldn't want to be insensitive about the many important reasons people might walk away from unfinished chess games, but this is precisely why I suggested a ratio between move times in wins and move times in defeats. The ratio is unaffected whether you move quickly, slowly or not at all for personal reasons. It only alters if you consistently walk away from games that are going badly whilst staying with your good ones.

I'm not sure that time controls fix the problem as shorter settings do penalise people who need to walk away when life gets in the way?
  5. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    19 Feb '20 13:451 edit
    @suzianne said
    I think in most cases you are correct Suzie, but there are those few where the word is not good enough. It wouldn't be fair for me to give examples. I've played thousands of games and after a time one gets to know if it is true or not. ( Perhaps a pretty good idea would be more correct to say)!

As was the case the previous poster pointed out 2017 was such a year for him, and I believe him.

-VR
  6. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    19 Feb '20 19:04
    @suzianne said
    As an explanation, of course.

As a cop-out not to be timed out, nah. Has to be a tsunami for that.

And in fact, I have refrained from timing out a player for well-publicised tsunami reasons. I have also timed out a lot of players who didn't bother to give a reason at all. In the end, when you start a game here, you commit to playing to a clock - and a slow clock, at that! If you can't make good on that, you lose some Fake Internet Points. Eh, big deal. I myself have, and as arrogant as I am, I can't be bothered about that.
  7. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    19 Feb '20 19:50
    @shallow-blue said
    As an explanation, of course.

As a cop-out not to be timed out, nah. Has to be a tsunami for that.

And in fact, I have refrained from timing out a player for well-publicised tsunami reasons. I have also timed out a lot of players who didn't bother to give a reason at all. In the end, when you start a game here, you commit to playing to a clock - and a slow c ...[text shortened]... Points. Eh, big deal. I myself have, and as arrogant as I am, I can't be bothered about that.
    You don't play a lot of games. 6 years on the site and I don't believe I've ever played you.

-VR
  8. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    19 Feb '20 20:33
    @very-rusty said
    You don't play a lot of games. 6 years on the site and I don't believe I've ever played you.
    There are good reasons for both of those facts.

Also, neither of them has any bearing on the subject of this thread.
  9. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    19 Feb '20 20:39
    @shallow-blue said
    There are good reasons for both of those facts.

Also, neither of them has any bearing on the subject of this thread.
    Sure it does, you've never had to move or play me or be concerned about time or ratings! 😛 😉

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree