Featured content.

Featured content.

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
15 Sep 06

Instead of a reccing system maybe there should be a sort of featured content section, in it a set of chosen judges (as well as the site admins) that search the forums could put any good post - that isn't an insult or anything stupid like that, into a certain place where people can look at all of these good posts.
Would this work?

DS

Moves
15 Sep 06

Originally posted by Bad wolf
Instead of a reccing system maybe there should be a sort of featured content section, in it a set of chosen judges (as well as the site admins) that search the forums could put any good post - that isn't an insult or anything stupid like that, into a certain place where people can look at all of these good posts.
Would this work?
Who would be the judges?
The mods and admin are overworked so they probably wouldn't do it.

And the reccommended posts are accessible in separate section already.

Moves
15 Sep 06

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
Who would be the judges?
The mods and admin are overworked so they probably wouldn't do it.

And the reccommended posts are accessible in separate section already.
'And the reccommended posts are accessible in separate section already.' - The problem with that is that most of the posts that get lots of recs and get onto the first page are just insults.

'Who would be the judges?
The mods and admin are overworked so they probably wouldn't do it.' - Good point, maybe there could be a vote to elect some kind of forum team (other people)?
And maybe if the majority of these judges thought something was a good post a message could be sent to the subscribers to vote on how good it is, if it did well it would go on the featured content. You would of course be able to choose not to recieve such messages.

What would you have for a judging system?

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
15 Sep 06

What would you have for a judging system?
recs.

Moves
15 Sep 06

Originally posted by Phlabibit
recs.
I lot of people don't like the way the rec system works and it has a few problems, I thought I'd just give an alternative; but if you like the rec system then that's fine I guess. I just find how mostly insults etc get much of the recs is, somewhat, annoying.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
15 Sep 06

I lot of people don't like the way the rec system works and it has a few problems, I thought I'd just give an alternative; but if you like the rec system then that's fine I guess. I just find how mostly insults etc get much of the recs is, somewhat, annoying.
I was looking at a post today wondering why it had 2 recs, and 0 alerts.

P-

Devout Agnostic.

DZ-015

Moves
15 Sep 06
1 edit

check page 1 of the rec page, i hear you're on it.

Devout Agnostic.

DZ-015

Moves
15 Sep 06

I was looking at a post today wondering why it had 2 recs, and 0 alerts.

P-
which one was that ?

Moves
15 Sep 06

Originally posted by huckleberryhound
check page 1 of the rec page, i hear you're on it.
Yeah, good point.

So to clarify, the rec system has both a good AND a bad side.
I wonder, what problems would my suggestion have instead?

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
15 Sep 06

Yeah, good point.

So to clarify, the rec system has both a good AND a bad side.
Too much time for judging, people don't agree... etc. Just like moderation.

One thing 'good users' can do is read through rec'd posts and rec the ones they feel are better than the abusive ones.

That way anyone who cares can participate.

P-

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
15 Sep 06

which one was that ?
The sexist one.

P-

Moves
15 Sep 06
1 edit

Too much time for judging, people don't agree... etc. Just like moderation.

One thing 'good users' can do is read through rec'd posts and rec the ones they feel are better than the abusive ones.

That way anyone who cares can participate.

P-
I'm afraid there will always be 'bad' users as well.

Devout Agnostic.

DZ-015

Moves
15 Sep 06

The sexist one.

P-
Dissymc's, i thought you meant that one, so i checked after i posted.

To be fair, although i agree it seems off colour,but i don't think any harm was meant, and i don't think anyone took offence at it. . .at least, not a sub.

N

The sky

Moves
15 Sep 06

It would probably start endless discussions about why this post is not on the list and that post is, and why most of the posts in the list are pro-American / anti-American / written by members of the Potato Clan / written by people whose user name starts with an "L" etc. etc.

N

The sky

Moves
15 Sep 06

Dissymc's, i thought you meant that one, so i checked after i posted.

To be fair, although i agree it seems off colour,but i don't think any harm was meant, and i don't think anyone took offence at it. . .at least, not a sub.
I didn't find it offensive or sexist at all. It was clearly meant as a joke (although I didn't find it very funny, but I have seen worse). It would never have occurred to me to send an alert.