Club tourneys starting from ANY position

Club tourneys starting from ANY position

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
29 Mar 18

Russ, may we please have this?

I run the gambit fantasy club and there are many thematic tourneys we can't run because they're not in the opening book, or because the book forces us several moves further down the line than we prefer.

k

Moves
31 Mar 18

I support !! beyond the traditional lines, its quite interesting to play when you are different positions then a conventional starting lineup. The fact, you start from possibly a middle game, makes your mind, ponder ever than before, and startize quickly. iam sure a lot of experienced players would like to play this. I request RHP to allow " Starting from ANY position" tournaments, if sufficient players ( atleast 8 are available).

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
31 Mar 18

Indeed expanding the starting from an opening feature could really improve the site experience.
If it was too difficult to implement otherwise it could be unrated "set-piece" games.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
31 Mar 18

Thanks to my club members for your support.

MAP since 090214!

Round Rock, TX

Moves
31 Mar 18

Support the idea!

Chess Obsessed

Ashland, OR

Moves
01 Apr 18

I think this could be an interesting enhancement to the site, at least periodically, but personally still prefer the book openings because I've learned a lot from this group over the years. My fave opening book is still Horowitz "Chess Openings Theory and Practice" so I'm a bit out of date 🙂

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
02 Apr 18

Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem

I run the gambit fantasy club and there are many thematic tourneys we can't run because they're not in the opening book, or because the book forces us several moves further down the line than we prefer.
I support this, even to the point that tournaments should be able to theme after white's first move. The ephemeral "closed or open" notion has value.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
05 Apr 18
1 edit

I am listening.

No development taking place for a week, but I will address this ASAP.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
05 Apr 18

Originally posted by @russ
I am listening.

No development taking place for a week, but I will address this ASAP.
Thanks, Russ.

TEXAS

STATE OF THE HEART

Moves
14 Apr 18

Add another vote in favor.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
19 Apr 18

Apologies for the delay...starting on this soon.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
24 Apr 18

This is now live, and incorporates the site FEN viewer - so you can paint the board, or just apply a FEN. Let me know how you get on, or if you encounter any issues.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
25 Apr 18

Originally posted by @russ
This is now live, and incorporates the site FEN viewer - so you can paint the board, or just apply a FEN. Let me know how you get on, or if you encounter any issues.
Awesome! Thank you.

I just started a Traxler tourney with 5.Nxf7 Bxf2+, which is not in the opening book. We'll see how it goes.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
02 May 18

Awesome! Thank you.

I just started a Traxler tourney with 5.Nxf7 Bxf2+, which is not in the opening book. We'll see how it goes.
I've now done several tourneys using this feature with no problems. Thanks again, Russ.