Annoying Ad

Annoying Ad

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

G

Moves
08 Jun 05

I understand the need for ads on this site, but I get very annoyed by the Crazy Frog ad. This ad is, besides being ugly, for which it can be forgiven, making a lot of sound. This is destroying my concentration, or mixing with my mp3-music playing. Could the sound be turned off please?

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
08 Jun 05

Originally posted by GJB
I understand the need for ads on this site, but I get very annoyed by the Crazy Frog ad. This ad is, besides being ugly, for which it can be forgiven, making a lot of sound. This is destroying my concentration, or mixing with my mp3-music playing. Could the sound be turned off please?
Sounds like spyware.

G

Moves
08 Jun 05

It is a side-banner on this site

T

Moves
08 Jun 05
1 edit

In IE, Disable the options
Play sounds in web pages
Play animations in web pages
Play videos in web pages

(I've never found any of the above to hamper web browsing)

Then disable flash if you have it installed (again, typically useless: if somebody's website insits on flash, find another website, or just turn it on for the few sites you have no option)

Do this and all the ads will become static.

CS

Moves
08 Jun 05

Originally posted by GJB
Sorry, can't see the ad 🙂

d
The Godfather

e8

Moves
08 Jun 05

Originally posted by GJB
one of the many benefits of subscribing is that you don't see ads any more on this site...<hint, hint>

G

Moves
08 Jun 05
1 edit

Originally posted by Toe
In IE, Disable the options
Play sounds in web pages
Play animations in web pages
Play videos in web pages

Originally posted by dfm65
[b]one of the many benefits of subscribing is that you don't see ads any more on this site...<hint, hint>
Toe: Thanks for the advice! Still i think RHP should better not place ads with sound 🙂

dfm65: hint taken, but i just don't have the money right now

D

Moves
09 Jun 05

Turn your speakers off. I don't know how to do that. I do not have speakers.
Dan

I'm like a nerd

Amsterdam, NL

Moves
10 Jun 05

Originally posted by GJB
dfm65: hint taken, but i just don't have the money right now
The following solution is completely free:

Download Firefox (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/) add the AdBlock extension (https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?application=firefox&id=10) and you're set. When there's an annoying ad, right-click it, select "AdBlock Image", and you'll never see it again.

You can even block Flash animations; they are only shown when you click on the icon that replaces it. I *love* it!! You can truly claim back the web from those obnoxious marketing drones.

G

Moves
11 Jun 05

dant, thanks for the constructive advice

strayjay, i'm already using firefox, so i'll certainly be installing that extension, thanks for the tip