Alert button

Alert button

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
15 Jun 09
3 edits

Originally posted by trev33
you didn't answer my question. non-sub like demon sin, doc and no1twit who have all been subs in the past, who all contribute to the forums and who are well known by the mods, you think they should be allowed to alert posts just because for whatever reasons (chess related maybe) that they did pay the $30 his year?

it's not 'showing favoritism' it's showing that you reward members that gain trust.
actually I did respond...adding on an edit. Which was as follows:

*Next you will be telling me 'no one' and the others you mentioned can't afford the pennys a day. Perhaps ask them why they haven't re-newed their subscription. It is usually because of some protest.*

The people you mentioned know the mods so well they could PM them to alert a post, and you and I both know it. Probably get a post removed just as quickly as you or me I am betting. 😉

DS

Moves
15 Jun 09

Originally posted by Very Rusty

The people you mentioned know the mods so well they could PM them to alert a post, and you and I both know it. Probably get a post removed just as quickly as you or me I am betting. 😉
If that is the case - why bother NOT having an alert button for them?

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove in the General Forum thread
Do you consider the alert button a "benefit"?

I would class it more as a service offered by the individual member to improve the forum quality.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
16 Jun 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
[b]If that is the case - why bother NOT having an alert button for them?
I have a question for you?

What was the reason you did not re-subscribe, I believe you use to be a subscriber didn't you?

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
16 Jun 09

I think you should have to pay for the privilege of abusing the alert system. $)

Australian cat

Australia

Moves
16 Jun 09

Originally posted by adramforall
So User 178703 who has been a member of the site for nearly 4 years would have to meet certain eligibility criteria to do so, yet a new user such as (picked at random) User 505370 who paid up on 25th May 2009 gets the ability immediately, just for paying up.

The ability to alert a post should be available to all and, if a user, whether a sub or not, abuses the feature, then the feature is withdrawn for that user.
It's rare that I agree completely with this poster, but I think this time he has the right idea. Give everyone the alert button, then block the facility if it is misused. All nonsubscribers should be allowed to help with the alert process should they wish to. Otherwise, why allow them to post at all?

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
16 Jun 09
3 edits

Originally posted by Kewpie
Otherwise, why allow them to post at all?[/b]
So, they get hooked into posting, then want to be able to alert posts. You have to be a Subscriber to alert. All of a sudden the site has another paying user. 🙂

Another thing, some subscribers don't re-subscribe because they are unhappy with something or another. Along with their protest, they also lose benefits, such as not being able to alert. Only get 6 games they can play, and 10 PM's I believe per day. So why should they gain benefits while they are protesting, and not paying?

It doesn't make much sense for the Admins to say: Ok, you can protest your point by not re-subscribing, but we will let you still be able to alert posts. The way I see it anyways.

DS

Moves
16 Jun 09
1 edit

So, they get hooked into posting, then want to be able to alert posts. You have to be a Subscriber to alert. All of a sudden the site has another paying user. 🙂

Another thing, some subscribers don't re-subscribe because they are unhappy with something or another. Along with their protest, they also lose benefits, such as not being able to alert. Only t re-subscribing, but we will let you still be able to alert posts. The way I see it anyways.
It can't really be classed as a benefit to be able to complain, especially when it can be done in another way. I see it more as a duty myself.

I can understand that there's the technical possibility of non-subs abusing the alert system but that is easily prevented.

Anyway, forget it if the majority of subscribers and admin are against the idea - it was a genuine offer to help. It won't happen again. 😛

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
16 Jun 09

If I got an Alert button now, I'd alert pretty much all of Rusty's posts as they are invariably off-topic, personal attacks on other users. That would give me little time for my own personal attacks.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
16 Jun 09
1 edit

I have a question for you?

What was the reason you did not re-subscribe, I believe you use to be a subscriber didn't you?
I would have alerted this post for example. It's NOHFB why Doc didn't re-subscribe and it has no bearing on the topic of the thread.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
16 Jun 09

Originally posted by no1marauder
If I got an Alert button now, I'd alert pretty much all of Rusty's posts as they are invariably off-topic, personal attacks on other users. That would give me little time for my own personal attacks.
😀...I never thought it would happen, but you made me laugh out loud!

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
16 Jun 09
5 edits

Originally posted by no1marauder
I would have alerted this post for example. It's NOHFB why Doc didn't re-subscribe and it has no bearing on the topic of the thread.
I could ask you the same question why you didn't re-subscribe, but you have already said it was a protest somewhere in a forum, if memory serves me correctly. We know it isn't because you can't afford it.

Something to do with you not liking the way the clan points are now done. Something that may need looking into again sometime. You may have had some good points there, that I shot down, because it was you making them. Not to say I agree with all the points you made!

You are wrong my asking why someone didn't re- subscribe does have bearing on the thread Topic. IF it was out of protest, then they made their own bed so to speak. Shouldn't go looking for functions which are given to Subscribers.

S

Moves
16 Jun 09

Some people use an alert button, others have a life.

Treat Everyone Equal

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Moves
16 Jun 09

Originally posted by Sushill
Some people use an alert button, others have a life.
Some have both, some have neither!

Were you trying your best to make a point?

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
17 Jun 09

Originally posted by Crowley
Good idea.

Maybe Russ should give this to people who have made X amount of moves, Y amount of posts and has been using the site for Z amount of time.
This should make sure that there is no abuse of the system.
Moderators should be able to grant NonScum alerting privileges, and remove them if they are abused.

There are a LOT of Scums who have been around long enough to trust their judgment.

P-

PoPeYe

This is embarrasking

Moves
18 Jun 09

Originally posted by Phlabibit
Moderators should be able to grant NonScum alerting privileges, and remove them if they are abused.

There are a LOT of Scums who have been around long enough to trust their judgment.

P-
I know what you're thinking. "Did he alert six posts or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is the most powerful alert button in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?