Adding Quebec flag

Adding Quebec flag

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joe Nobody

Montréal

Moves
24 Feb 06

Good idea, Sebistrike. And I have to agree with Redmike. The question is not about the Quebec being province, country, nation or anything else. It's about the Quebecers considering the Fleurdelysé representing them more than the Unifolié. There looks to be a couple of peoples on the forum who desperetely refuse to see a Québec flag on the site, what's the problem with you guys ? Especially you, AlpXZX. Your comments are in no way pertinents. You don't agree with a Quebec flag on this site ? Fine, that's your right. But is the "Quebequers are never happy" a good argument to defend your point of view ? That'll make no difference for you anyway. As a partisan of Quebec's independance, it really sucks for me to put the Maple Leaf. But of course a partisan of Quebec being part of Canada should have the right to use the Maple Leaf.

M

Moves
24 Feb 06

Sorry about that clever man but : United Kingdom country is Scotland, Wales, Isle of man, Nothern Ireland and England united togeter.
Err, no, Scotland, England, Northern Ireland and Wales are seperate countries, joined in the kingdom of Great Britain.

They have their own languages, Scotland has a seperate government (Wales and NI have assemblies). They have their own international sports teams (football, rugby and so on).

R
Godless Commie

Glasgow

Moves
24 Feb 06

Originally posted by MRoberts
Err, no, Scotland, England, Northern Ireland and Wales are seperate countries, joined in the kingdom of Great Britain.

They have their own languages, Scotland has a seperate government (Wales and NI have assemblies). They have their own international sports teams (football, rugby and so on).
Actually, Northern Ireland isn't really a country.

A

The Great North

Moves
24 Feb 06

Originally posted by FabianFnas
This debate brings nothing good out of it.

"If they have a flag so I want one too!"

My suggestion is that formulate a rule first and then apply it.
One rule could be that every nation that is a member of UN. I.e. Let the UN decide.
Another could be if the nation is a member of FIDE.
Still another could be that everyone who wants a flag should des ...[text shortened]... Smiley on dark blue background.

Now, I think, the flora of flags is way to large already.
Yes, what a great idea, Fabian. Let's go and call up the UN to decide what flags should be listed on a chess site🙄.

You guys dont seem to get my point. If Quebec does end up seperating, then for god's sake, give them the flag, But until they seperate( like those other countries you listed) they dont get a flag. Hell, we all want our own flags, but we cant just go along and make them all up. You would see countries' flags that you never knew exhisted and be pondering "Oh, I see your from...uh...the country with the thing...riight." I think that people on this site should be seen as nations, rather then specifying which part of that nation yoou are from. That is what the little thing under your avitar is for.

DS

Moves
25 Feb 06

Originally posted by Redmike
Actually, Northern Ireland isn't really a country.
Northern Ireland IS actually a country, same way that North Korea [and others] is a country.

OK, so Quebec is given a flag at RHP, it still wouldn't be a country would it.
And I believe Palestine is slightly different in that it has borders with other countries. I feel you should be more patriotic to your real country, [ie.Canada] but that's your choice I suppose.

A

The Great North

Moves
25 Feb 06

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
Northern Ireland IS actually a country, same way that North Korea [and others] is a country.

OK, so Quebec is given a flag at RHP, it still wouldn't be a country would it.
And I believe Palestine is slightly different in that it has borders with other countries. I feel you should be more patriotic to your real country, [ie.Canada] but that's your choice I suppose.
I think they should either take the Canadian flag or get the F*** out of the country. Just like those asses that wont rise when they hear the National Anthom. Yea, it aint great, but you stand anywayz.

Cooler than Chess

Swindon

Moves
25 Feb 06

why does everyone OTHER than people who live here use that awful UK term? I mean, we are not united, its bollocks. The English rule it, calling it united just makes the occupation sound more democratic.

and yes, england , scotland, wales and northern ireland are seperate countries, check your history, geography and ask anyone from either of them.

Moves
25 Feb 06

Originally posted by cashthetrash
If Quebec gets a flag then I think the United States of Texas should get one.🙄

When Hell freezes over.😛
And so should the Republic of Western Canada.

F

Moves
25 Feb 06

Originally posted by 88mph
and yes, england , scotland, wales and northern ireland are seperate countries, check your history, geography and ask anyone from either of them.
... and what about Småland, Dalsland, Öland, Gotland, Jämtland, Åland, Värmland, Hälsingland, Lappland and Halland?
Not to mention Götaland, Svealand and Norrland?

Where do we draw the limit?

d

Moves
26 Feb 06

Give the man his flag! What harm will it do any of us?

On the issue of Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland I hope I can add a perspective of someone who actually lives in one of the above (although I notice redmike has also posted).

Scotland, Wales & N. Ireland are not countries in any generally accepted legal sense. We have a form of devolved governance in Scotland but our parliament is created by United Kingdom legislation. Scotland doesn't have its own language unless we are referring to the very small section of the population that speak gaelic.

However, I was pleased to have found a Scottish flag as I feel it best represents my national identity. That won't change the fact that my passport is issued by Her Majesty's Government of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

DS

Moves
26 Feb 06
1 edit

Originally posted by davidmacc

Scotland, Wales & N. Ireland are not countries in any generally accepted legal sense. We have a form of devolved governance in Scotland but our parliament is created by United Kingdom legislation. Scotland doesn't have its own language unless we are referring to the very small section of the population that speak gaelic.

However, I was pleased to have sued by Her Majesty's Government of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
Yeah right, and you could say India, Australia etc etc etc are not countries "in the generally accepted legal sense" using that argument. In other words it's rubbish - the COUNTRIES of Wales, Scotland, Ireland etc make up the UK.
I was taught that in BASIC geography years ago, and nothing has changed since.
I agree one should be able to have a Quebec flag if one feels that strongly about it.
Why not use one for your avatar? [subscribers only - 🙁 ]

d

Moves
26 Feb 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
Yeah right, and you could say India, Australia etc etc etc are not countries "in the generally accepted legal sense" using that argument. In other words it's rubbish - the COUNTRIES of Wales, Scotland, Ireland etc make up the UK.
I was taught that in BASIC geography years ago, and nothing has changed since.
I agree one should be able to have a Que ...[text shortened]... ne feels that strongly about it.
Why not use one for your avatar? [subscribers only - 🙁 ]
(a) Try not to misquote - I said I was issued with a passport, to the best of my knowledge I wasn't sued!
(b) India, Australia et al celebrate independence days marking their seperation from the British Empire. Scotland has made no such agreement allowing it to leave the United Kingdom. It is not a country, it has no seat at the top table in the EU, UN or any other major transnational decision-making body. I believe most educated Scottish people would appreciate that Scotland is a nation but not a country, regardless of how much some of us may wish it to become one.
(c) Scotland does have its own education system though, judging from your knowledge of 'BASIC' geography perhaps we are blessed in this respect?! 😛

Here is a link that may help clarify the situation: http://geography.about.com/od/politicalgeography/a/scotlandnot.htm

The article is, sadly, unclear on its views about the conferral of flags to RHP members.

I am however glad you agree with the original point - let the man have his flag!

DS

Moves
26 Feb 06
3 edits

The territory occupied by a nation is known as it's country.
I've known hundreds of Scottish people over the years, "well educated" and less well educated [whatever difference that's supposed to make] and I'm 99.99% certain they all consider their country to be Scotland.
If you are a jock, you're the first I've come accross who doesn't.

And that link you give is a load of crap. I don't believe all I read in newspapers either.

You'll be telling me England is not a country next. bah!

Lgp

Québec

Moves
26 Feb 06
1 edit

To every chess player of the world,

I am a supporter of the independence of Quebec people. Yes, it’s true that Quebecers will never be happy in their present situation. Why? Because we are not free. We are still in a colonial status resulting from the “conquest battle” on the “Plaines d’Abraham”. For more than 200 years, we are dominated. We always have to ask to obtain something, we cannot do things by our own initiative. We just want freedom and dignity. That will give us the right to fail (without accusing others of our failures) and the right to success.

I want to correct something; Québec is more French then the other part of Canada, including Maritimes. We are French speaking at 80% and more. English bodies with historical rights are about 8% of the population. The rest of population is immigrants, French or English speaking as second language. Their first language can be Chinese, Spanish…. the language of their original country.

I also want to talk about the quality of French speaking outside Québec, but inside Canada. The way that French Canadians speak shows that they are on the road of assimilation. They use the expression “downtown, welfare, or cordless” when we they are supposed to use these expression: “centre-ville, bien-être social et téléphone sans fil”. French education is not a priority in Canada…

Here, it’s a question of representation. Quebecers players want to be represent by their own flag, because there are different: not better or worst, just different. If the situation is normal, why are we debating the question?

Stand up for Québec Flag, celebrate the world nations diversity.

French Version:

À tous les joueurs d’échec de ce monde,

Premièrement, par strict souci d’honnêteté, je dois immédiatement vous dire qu’effectivement, je suis un grand défenseur de la souveraineté du Québec. Comme quelqu’un le disait sur ce site, c’est vrai, les Québécois ne seront jamais contents dans le cadre fédératif. Pourquoi ? Parce que nous ne sommes pas libres. Nous sommes, depuis 200 ans, régit par un statut colonial résultant de la défaite française sur les plaines d’Abraham. Nous sommes donc dominés par une majorité aux aspirations différentes des nôtres. Nous, pour exister normalement, nous devons sans cesse demander des permissions, nous ne pouvons rien faire de notre propre initiative. Nous ne voulons que la liberté et la dignité comme tous les autres peuples. Ceci nous donneras les droits fondamentaux de tous peuples ; celui du droit à l’échec, nous n’aurons dorénavant qu’à nous à prendre à nous même pour nos tares, et celui du droit aux succès.

Je voudrais aussi corriger des choses qui ont été dites sur ce site, et qui relève de la plus pure aberration. Le Québec est le seul territoire majoritairement français de l’Amérique. Il est plus français que toutes les autres régions du Canada, incluant les maritimes, où vie la minorité acadienne (qui chaque jour doit mener un combat acharné pour la conservation de son identité😉. Le Québec est composé de Québécois francophones « natifs » à plus de 80%. La population anglaise possédant des droits historiques n’est environ que de 8%. Le reste de la population est composée d’immigrants ayant comme seconde langue, soit le français, soit l’anglais. Leur première langue peut bien être le Chinois, l’Espagnol… Bref, la langue de leur pays d’origine.

J’aimerais aussi vous parlez de la qualité du français parlé à l’extérieur des frontières québécoises, mais à l’intérieur des canadiennes. La façon dont parlent les canadiens français prouve qu’ils sont en voie d’assimilation. Ils utilisent couramment des expressions comme downtown, welfare, et cordless pour désigner un centre-ville, l’aide sociale et un téléphone sans fil. Ceci ne prouve certainement pas un manque d’intelligence de leur part, seulement, que l’éducation fançaise n’a jamais été et ne sera jamais une priorité du Canada anglais.

C’est une question de représentation. Nous voulons nous identifier à notre drapeau parce que nous sommes différent, pas mieux ou pire que les autres, simplement différent. Si nous vivions dans une situation normale, nous n’aurions pas à débattre de ces questions….

Notre drapeau, vive la diversité nationale de ce monde !

Le gros pic

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
26 Feb 06

Originally posted by Le gros pic
To every chess player of the world,

I am a supporter of the independence of Quebec people. Yes, it’s true that Quebecers will never be happy in their present situation. Why? Because we are not free. We are still in a colonial status resulting from the “conquest battle” on the “Plaines d’Abraham”. For more than 200 years, we are dominated. We alwa ...[text shortened]... re de ces questions….

Notre drapeau, vive la diversité nationale de ce monde !

Le gros pic
When Quebec manages to secede and become a country then they can have a flag on this site. Until then there is no debate. This site isn't a vehicle for political change.