1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Jul '21 23:491 edit
    It appears that it is possible for a single poster to multiple alert one post by selecting a different alert topic from the drop down menu. This loophole is beginning to be abused allowing threads to be targeted for dozens of alerts and making it impossible for the mod team to discern what, forum guidelines, if any are being transgressed, resulting in an entire thread being removed which may not have needed to be.

Can the alert function be modified so that a poster can only alert a post once?

Also, is it worth only permitting subscribers to alert posts?

Thanks.
  2. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    04 Jul '21 00:11
    The moderators were probably not chosen for their lack of discernment.
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    04 Jul '21 11:17
    A lot depends on whether the moderators can see who alerted a post. If so, it would be obvious that one member had triggered multiple alerts to a single post.
  4. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    05 Jul '21 08:57
    @divegeester said
    Can the alert function be modified so that a poster can only alert a post once?
    First fix - this has been changed. One alert only.
  5. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    05 Jul '21 09:06
    And now reverting back to subscriber alerts only.
  6. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    05 Jul '21 09:58
    And a limit of 3 alerts a day has been reimposed.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Jul '21 19:051 edit
    Thank you Russ.

Despite accusations against me, and to be fair my combative posting style, I remain a firm supporter of this excellent site.

Edit; 7 thumbs down for my OP. I rest my case. LOL
  8. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    05 Jul '21 19:14
    @divegeester said
    Thank you Russ.

Despite accusations against me, and to be fair my combative posting style, I remain a firm supporter of this excellent site.

Edit; 7 thumbs down for my OP. I rest my case. LOL
    kiss ass
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Jul '21 19:35
    @lemondrop said
    kiss ass
    I’m very comfortable in acknowledging good site management while simultaneously palming off low-brow detractors.
  10. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    05 Jul '21 19:38
    @divegeester said
    I’m very comfortable in acknowledging good site management while simultaneously palming off low-brow detractors.
    does Russ fill your food bowl?
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    05 Jul '21 19:53
    @lemondrop said
    does Russ fill your food bowl?
    We will possibly share beers one day, I’ll buy the first two and the pork scratchings.
  12. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    05 Jul '21 20:23
    @russ said
    Is there no way you can have alerts for non subs who have been members for say, a year plus?
  13. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    05 Jul '21 21:02
    @Russ

Thanks for your prompt response to this issue of ‘ alert rigging’.
  14. Joined
    19 Aug '12
    Moves
    24 Jul '21 21:09
    @russ said
    Hi Russ,

There was a situation a while ago where a certain RHP personality was not only breaking RHP guidelines but breaking the law in multiple countries (as discrimination is against the law in most countries). The only way to make site admin aware was to email the admin however the discriminatory posts are left for days on end.

Is this what RHP is about?

I haven't been on the site for months and tried to alert an abusive post recently by someone who is now banned but I couldn't. The moderators are probably volunteers so we can't blame them if insults/discriminatory posts are left for days on end but can you please reconsider?

Regards,
    Congruent.
  15. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    25 Jul '21 22:24
    I imagine one reason for reverting to subscriber-only alerts had to do with the possibility (or actual occurrences) of a single person with several non-sub accounts alerting posts multiple times.

One solution to not being able to alert posts: Subscribe.

Alternate solution for people who really can't afford to subscribe: PM a subscriber and ask them to alert the offending post.

Technical solutions to social problems have their limits. Gamers gonna game.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree