About FENs

About FENs

Site Ideas

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PP

Belfast

Moves
30 Apr 06

Would it not make sense to allow more than one FEN position in a post instead of having to make a post for each position you want to show?

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
01 May 06

Originally posted by Positional Player
Would it not make sense to allow more than one FEN position in a post instead of having to make a post for each position you want to show?
No, because the posts would get too long with multiple diagrams. RHP runs 15 posts to a page, and limiting post size keeps pages to a reasonable length.

DS

Moves
04 May 06

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
..RHP runs 15 posts to a page, and limiting post size keeps pages to a reasonable length.
So what's the "post size limit" then?

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
04 May 06

No, because the posts would get too long with multiple diagrams. RHP runs 15 posts to a page, and limiting post size keeps pages to a reasonable length.
I read forums where they run 40 posts to a page with longer limits and allowed inline images and that's fine for page length. I often find 15 posts a page annoying as I'm constantly have to go to the next page when reading a long thread.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
04 May 06

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
So what's the "post size limit" then?
I think it is 2000 characters, but don't quote me on it.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
04 May 06

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
I read forums where they run 40 posts to a page with longer limits and allowed inline images and that's fine for page length. I often find 15 posts a page annoying as I'm constantly have to go to the next page when reading a long thread.
Russ is probably trying to show mercy to those poor souls still on dial up.

ab

Moves
04 May 06

so why not, like some other forums do, let the users decide how many posts they want to see on a page, by a setting in "My Settings" ?

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
04 May 06

I think it is 2000 characters, but don't quote me on it.
It's a lot more than that, that's the limit for Private Messages and you can get a lot more into a forum post than into one of those.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
05 May 06

Originally posted by aging blitzer
so why not, like some other forums do, let the users decide how many posts they want to see on a page, by a setting in "My Settings" ?
The main down side to that is if I say, "see page 17 of this thread for details", my page 17 is not the same as someone with different settings.

ab

Moves
05 May 06

so we need a unique post number listed with the date/time of the post.
then you can say "see post number x for details"

that would make it easier than having to give the date/time of the post you are referring to

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
05 May 06

that would make it easier than having to give the date/time of the post you are referring to
The date and time change with the time zone of the user, but a post numbering system would do the trick...

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
05 May 06
1 edit

Maybe Ouroboros could use this link to make that possible...
http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=37005&page=11#post_643646

All the information is stored there.
An interface to enter all the info might be clunky, so I wonder if it would be possible to show a link to be copied under each forum post. The writing could be quite small. There could also be loads of better ways of implementing it. That was the first thing that came to mind.

D