1. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    18 Aug '22 02:22
    There isn’t a debates forum anymore.
    It is nothing but a forum for extreme right Americans to troll the rest of humanity.

It’s completely broken.
    The last 7 years have seen it become ever more polarised on solely American issues. Many of which have no bearing on the rest of the world or even rationality.

To preserve Debates as it was initially intended, we need to remove American politics from it. Can they have a separate forum?

Obviously I’d just as soon see the alt-right yanks dragged out, lined up against a wall and shot; legality and international law, however, oppose such measures.

And seemingly banning them only brings them back under a new avatar. Sort of like spawning in a computer game…

So, please, since we can’t get rid of them, can we just sort of lock them up in a conspiracy ridden den of racism, hate, fear and madness. Give them a home for themselves to bicker about Q-anon and how incels are a good thing?

Please!
  2. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    18 Aug '22 06:52
    @shavixmir said
    It is nothing but a forum for extreme right Americans to troll the rest of humanity.

It’s completely broken.
    The last 7 years have seen it become ever more polarised on solely American issues. Many of which have no bearing on the rest of the world or even rationality.

To preserve Debates as it was initially intended, we need ...[text shortened]... Give them a home for themselves to bicker about Q-anon and how incels are a good thing?

Please!
    It is not possible to hinder people to post as has been seen time and again. Read the Science Forum ...
  3. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    18 Aug '22 13:14
    @shavixmir said

It’s completely broken.

To preserve Debates as it was initially intended, we need to remove American politics from it. Can they have a separate forum?
    What makes you think they'd stay out? They're USAlien alt-righters, they believe it is their Mammon-given right to post anything they want, anywhere they want, and any rules on them are StEaLiN" MuH FrEeDuMs!!!I!!!Il!!!!
  4. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    18 Aug '22 19:041 edit
    I'm not completely against trying a Politics forum - but a US Politics focused forum is too specific. And then the Debates forum becomes largely redundant.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Aug '22 00:58
    @russ said
    I'm not completely against trying a Politics forum - but a US Politics focused forum is too specific. And then the Debates forum becomes largely redundant.
    Exactly, if US Politics has already taken up 90% of the forum, moving them off somewhere else will leave a forum with no posters. It'll be the Culture Forum all over again.
  6. SubscriberKewpieonline
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    19 Aug '22 09:56
    @suzianne said
    Exactly, if US Politics has already taken up 90% of the forum, moving them off somewhere else will leave a forum with no posters. It'll be the Culture Forum all over again.
    It could work in reverse. Combine Debates and Spirituality forums and let all those bigoted people drown each other in their massive swamp. Bring Culture and Puzzles back into the General (i.e. non-chess) forums and use heavy-handed moderation to keep the wild animals confined to their own uncensored cesspit. Only joking, of course.
  7. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    19 Aug '22 20:472 edits
    @russ said
    Or the debates forum comes to life, with great debates about various topics, where people come together, not to judge, but to get to the bottom of matters, swap ideas and have respect for excellent arguments.

US politics is poison.

When I used to travel, oh, long time ago, way before you were a code monkey, there was a saying: “Talk aabout anything, except politics and religion.”

And it worked.
  8. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    19 Aug '22 20:53
    @suzianne said
    Not quite true.
    The problem is 7 posters. No more, no less.
    So, every debate gets dragged into their alt-right domain.

A debate about Ukranian refugees in Europe being given preferential treatment over other refugees… very interesting. It just ends up an anti-Biden rant about the Texas border.

And, let’s be honest, that’s when I let rip with my unpoetic ranting about trailer parks.
    One can only handle so much alt-right before one snaps…
  9. Joined
    06 May '15
    Moves
    21 Aug '22 00:48
    Or just rename the current Debates forum to Politics, and start a fresh Debates forum for non-political, non-religious matters.

(Sorry, Spirituality Forum: You'd be stuck with your happy campers, perhaps for eternity.)
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    21 Aug '22 01:26
    @kevin-eleven said
    Or just rename the current Debates forum to Politics, and start a fresh Debates forum for non-political, non-religious matters.

(Sorry, Spirituality Forum: You'd be stuck with your happy campers, perhaps for eternity.)
    How many debatable subjects are there outside of religion and politics?
  11. SubscriberKewpieonline
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    21 Aug '22 06:051 edit
    @savedbygrace said
    How many debatable subjects are there outside of religion and politics?
    Economics is pretty interesting right now.

Does raising interest rates in a time of price inflation really help to reduce prices?
  12. Joined
    19 Aug '22
    Moves
    21 Aug '22 06:52
    @shavixmir said
    Not quite true.
    The problem is 7 posters. No more, no less.
    So, every debate gets dragged into their alt-right domain.

A debate about Ukranian refugees in Europe being given preferential treatment over other refugees… very interesting. It just ends up an anti-Biden rant about the Texas border.

And, let’s be honest, that’s when I let rip with my unpoetic ranting about trailer parks.
    One can only handle so much alt-right before one snaps…
    Name the 7.
  13. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Aug '22 16:29
    @lusername said
    Name the 7.
    I don't know which ones he meant, but I do know your previous avatar was number 8.

Now get out.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Aug '22 07:531 edit
    @kewpie said
    It could work in reverse. Combine Debates and Spirituality forums and let all those bigoted people drown each other in their massive swamp. Bring Culture and Puzzles back into the General (i.e. non-chess) forums and use heavy-handed moderation to keep the wild animals confined to their own uncensored cesspit. Only joking, of course.
    Other than the odd flurry of racism by @Executioner-Brand aka @reservation247, I’ve not seen any “bigotry” in the Spirituality forum for years.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    22 Aug '22 07:56
    @shavixmir said
    Or the debates forum comes to life, with great debates about various topics, where people come together, not to judge, but to get to the bottom of matters, swap ideas and have respect for excellent arguments.

US politics is poison.

When I used to travel, oh, long time ago, way before you were a code monkey, there was a saying: “Talk aabout anything, except politics and religion.”

And it worked.
    All politics is poison.

@Kevin-Eleven has a good idea; just rename it “Politics” and have separate forum for “Debates”.

Any trolling by the politics crew to be punishable by something-or-other.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree