Word of the day: Magnetocaloric:

Word of the day: Magnetocaloric:

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
11 Apr 15

http://phys.org/news/2015-04-material-cooling-industry.html#nRlv

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
12 Apr 15

This reads like a press release rather than a meaningful report.

So this Professor Shane Stadler found some new material exhibiting am magnetocaloric effect and applied for a patent seven years ago. This patent has not yet been granted, a surefire hint that there is a lot of legal work in the making which is hindering the claim to be granted...

In fact I work on the stuf five years now and we are on the process engineering aprt of it. To have an efficient cooling machine, you have to have a series of these materials with slightly difefrent jumping temperatures. you need to put in and eget out the heat, so you need them to be incoprorated in high efficient heat exchanegrs, but still well defined. This is the task. To find new materials is less of a problem.

Oh and it might take still some years for an application in household...

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
12 Apr 15
3 edits

Originally posted by Ponderable
This reads like a press release rather than a meaningful report.

So this Professor Shane Stadler found some new material exhibiting am magnetocaloric effect and applied for a patent seven years ago. This patent has not yet been granted, a surefire hint that there is a lot of legal work in the making which is hindering the claim to be granted...

In f ...[text shortened]... s less of a problem.

Oh and it might take still some years for an application in household...
Any idea of the efficiency of magnetic cooling Vs Peltier cooling?

There have been some good engineering work done on Peltier coolers and it has no moving parts other than a fan to get the heat out of a radiator and such. No freon, no moving parts, can last forever.

But I don't know the efficiency compared to modern efficient freon refrigerators or the up and coming magnetic coolers.

I think Einstein was the original inventor of magnetic cooling, he actually started a company that made them maybe 100 years ago or so.

I take it back, it was a regular gas cycle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einstein_refrigerator

Their actual patent:

http://www.google.com/patents/US1781541

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
16 Apr 15

Originally posted by sonhouse
Any idea of the efficiency of magnetic cooling Vs Peltier cooling?

There have been some good engineering work done on Peltier coolers and it has no moving parts other than a fan to get the heat out of a radiator and such. No freon, no moving parts, can last forever.

But I don't know the efficiency compared to modern efficient freon refrigerators or t ...[text shortened]... rg/wiki/Einstein_refrigerator

Their actual patent:

http://www.google.com/patents/US1781541
As with Peltier you have to transport away the heat using some heat carrier...so the overall efficiency is not soo different. But stacking magentocaloric slices is far easier. The moving part would be some kind of pump to move hot and cold heat carrier to and fro.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
16 Apr 15

As with Peltier you have to transport away the heat using some heat carrier...so the overall efficiency is not soo different. But stacking magentocaloric slices is far easier. The moving part would be some kind of pump to move hot and cold heat carrier to and fro.
So you are saying with magnetocaloric cooling you could reach lower temps? I wonder how low you can go with that? My cryo equipment gets to 10 degrees Kelvin, it uses helium gas as the refrigerant.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
17 Apr 15

Originally posted by sonhouse
So you are saying with magnetocaloric cooling you could reach lower temps? I wonder how low you can go with that? My cryo equipment gets to 10 degrees Kelvin, it uses helium gas as the refrigerant.
will I think about about a µK in fact, which is comparatively cold, though not record setting.
But you are probably well aware that we do have difficulties in callibrating there...

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
18 Apr 15

will I think about about a µK in fact, which is comparatively cold, though not record setting.
But you are probably well aware that we do have difficulties in callibrating there...
I think in the sub microK environment, they cool with lasers.

M

Moves
18 Apr 15
2 edits

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
19 Apr 15

Originally posted by MataRengi
That's all you have to say?🙂

Quiz Master