what is time?

what is time?

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

e

Moves
09 Jun 08

if we could eradicate human perception of time (minutes, days, years etc) does time really exist?

put it another way, is the universe in a state of no past or future yet at the same time everchanging?

P

weedhopper

Moves
09 Jun 08

Originally posted by eatmybishop
if we could eradicate human perception of time (minutes, days, years etc) does time really exist?

put it another way, is the universe in a state of no past or future yet at the same time everchanging?
I vote Yes--time exists. {in my mind's eye, I see Bertrand Russell answering this question by holding out his watch...}

F

Moves
09 Jun 08

Yes, because time existed before man.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
09 Jun 08

Does entropy of a system increase irrespective of human intervention? If the answer if yes (hint; it is), then time exists.

e

Moves
10 Jun 08
1 edit

Originally posted by scottishinnz
Does entropy of a system increase irrespective of human intervention? If the answer if yes (hint; it is), then time exists.
but time cant be proved

F

Moves
10 Jun 08

but time cant be proved
You mean, the existence of time cannot be proven? Or the properties of time?

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
10 Jun 08

but time cant be proved
What does "time cannot be proved" mean exactly?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
10 Jun 08

Originally posted by scottishinnz
What does "time cannot be proved" mean exactly?
That someone has more of it on their hands than they know what to
do with. 🙂
Kelly

e

Moves
11 Jun 08

Originally posted by FabianFnas
You mean, the existence of time cannot be proven? Or the properties of time?
not the properties, that can be proved... i mean the very essence of time, dont think existence is the right word...

my point is if i say there is no past or future and no time and the world is in a timeless state yet an everchanging state it cannot be disproved...

F

Moves
11 Jun 08
1 edit

not the properties, that can be proved... i mean the very essence of time, dont think existence is the right word...

my point is if i say there is no past or future and no time and the world is in a timeless state yet an everchanging state it cannot be disproved...
If there is only a present 'now', no past, no future, then the existance of time is meaningless, is this what you mean?
Well, that's one way of seeing it.

In this case, the 'free will' exist. I'm the only one responsible to what will happen. If the future exist already, and time is only the road to it, then I don't have any 'free will'.

I like the idea of 'free will', therefore I like your idea of 'no time'.

When my boss wants me to do some impossible thing, then I just say "I do it in no time!" and in a deeper sense I'm right!

eo

the highway to hell

Moves
11 Jun 08

time can be regarded as the sequence of events ?

e

Moves
15 Jun 08

If there is only a present 'now', no past, no future, then the existance of time is meaningless, is this what you mean?
Well, that's one way of seeing it.

In this case, the 'free will' exist. I'm the only one responsible to what will happen. If the future exist already, and time is only the road to it, then I don't have any 'free will'.

I like the ...[text shortened]... le thing, then I just say "I do it in no time!" and in a deeper sense I'm right!
yes, this is bordering more on buddist belief now than a science one, they state there is no past or future and all that has ever existed is now...

ie. when the pass happened it happened now, when the future happens it will happen now, when we look to the past we do it now, nothing can ever occur outside of now... why then do we have this logic that time exist and we are moving forward?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
15 Jun 08

To quote a sci fi author I forget who, 'time is what keeps everything from happening at once'. Poul Anderson?

F

Moves
15 Jun 08

Originally posted by sonhouse
To quote a sci fi author I forget who, 'time is what keeps everything from happening at once'. Poul Anderson?
"A famous physicist once said that "time is what keeps everything from happening at once". This is a funny answer, but in a sense it is true: time is a distance between events, just as space is a distance between places. We measure the "time distance" in seconds, just as we measure the "space distance" in inches, etc. One important difference between time and space, though, is that the two directions of are very different from each other: we are continually moving into the future, and cannot move into the past. In space the situation is quite different: we can move in any direction equally easily. It is still not understood by scientists why the two directions of time are so different from each other."

http://www.scienceline.ucsb.edu/search/DB/show_question.php?key=878928261

P

weedhopper

Moves
15 Jun 08

"A famous physicist once said that "time is what keeps everything from happening at once". This is a funny answer, but in a sense it is true: time is a distance between events, just as space is a distance between places. We measure the "time distance" in seconds, just as we measure the "space distance" in inches, etc. One important difference between time ...[text shortened]... ach other."

http://www.scienceline.ucsb.edu/search/DB/show_question.php?key=878928261
Reminds me of the professor that asked me why we remember the past and not the future. That's like asking why one uses sperm and not saliva to fertilize eggs.