The Dubious Consumer Chemical Thread

The Dubious Consumer Chemical Thread

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

e

Moves
17 Apr 13
1 edit

Originally posted by Soothfast
Triclosan, an antimicrobial chemical added to soap, toothpaste, and loads of other items you might find in a medicine cabinet.
That's on my don't buy list - people buy anti-bacs that are much worse for them then the bacteria!

I've never heard of DHMO

K
Demon Duck

of Doom!

Moves
17 Apr 13

Originally posted by e4chris
That's on my don't buy list - people buy anti-bacs that are much worse for them then the bacteria!

I've never heard of DHMO
You should be especially worried about the DHMO stuff. Studies have found that 100% of people who have consumed it eventually die.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
17 Apr 13

Originally posted by Kepler
You should be especially worried about the DHMO stuff. Studies have found that 100% of people who have consumed it eventually die.
I believe 100% of ordinary people who consumed anything eventually die, without any studies.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
17 Apr 13
1 edit

I've never heard of DHMO
Thousands have died through inhalation of the stuff.
You better check it out.
I'm guessing that if you work in a lab you probably come into contact with it all the time.

DiHydrogenMonOxide. (DHMO)
http://www.dhmo.org/

btw: Is your degree in Chemistry or another science?

e

Moves
18 Apr 13
1 edit

Originally posted by wolfgang59
Thousands have died through inhalation of the stuff.
You better check it out.
I'm guessing that if you work in a lab you probably come into contact with it all the time.

DiHydrogenMonOxide. (DHMO)
http://www.dhmo.org/

btw: Is your degree in Chemistry or another science?
Its medicinal chemistry, I studied drugs / natural compounds in particular

Kepler made me chuckle - but there is this arrogance in the UK that american companies force dodgy chemicals on us (they did by the ton when they didn't understand them) but the US and Australia now have tougher laws then the UK on this - we are lax - hydrogenated veg oil, chloroform, formaldehyde, they are banned in the US...

re coumarin - i have lots of products with it in - but you do get deodorants and air freshners that border on being bio hazards here, that can't be good.

K
Demon Duck

of Doom!

Moves
18 Apr 13

Its medicinal chemistry, I studied drugs / natural compounds in particular

Kepler made me chuckle - but there is this arrogance in the UK that american companies force dodgy chemicals on us (they did by the ton when they didn't understand them) but the US and Australia now have tougher laws then the UK on this - we are lax - hydrogenated veg oil, chlorofo ...[text shortened]... do get deodorants and air freshners that border on being bio hazards here, that can't be good.
So now it's lack of understanding rather than evil chemists?

e

Moves
18 Apr 13
1 edit

Originally posted by Kepler
So now it's lack of understanding rather than evil chemists?
haber was deeply evil and chemists seem to forget that - but yes lack of understanding, plus very cheap old industrial chemicals - and in the UK the tendency to buy them because they are 'strong' - kills 250% of bacteria etc

e

Moves
18 Apr 13
2 edits

Here is another one - PFOA in microwave popcorn bags

rather good article;

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400701/Microwave-Popcorn-Threat.html

that is on my don't buy (in bold!) list. Also cheap and turned out by a rather reckless chemical company.

K
Demon Duck

of Doom!

Moves
18 Apr 13

haber was deeply evil and chemists seem to forget that - but yes lack of understanding, plus very cheap old industrial chemicals - and in the UK the tendency to buy them because they are 'strong' - kills 250% of bacteria etc
So lack of understanding and consumer stupidity?

Planet Rain

Moves
18 Apr 13

Here is another one - PFOA in microwave popcorn bags

rather good article;

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400701/Microwave-Popcorn-Threat.html

that is on my don't buy (in bold!) list. Also cheap and turned out by a rather reckless chemical company.
We got a hand-cranked popcorn popper for the stovetop last year. Cheaper than the microwaved crap, and without the evil chemicals.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
19 Apr 13

Originally posted by Soothfast
We got a hand-cranked popcorn popper for the stovetop last year. Cheaper than the microwaved crap, and without the evil chemicals.
I guess ther is no evil-lution there.

e

Moves
22 Apr 13

I'm not sure whats in it but this is a real product! have seen it in the garden centre 🙂

Cat-a-pult 🙂

http://www.crowders.co.uk/library/products/large/large_1_79709676_cat_a_pult_cat_repellent_1_litre_by_bayer_garden.jpg

what do you make of that ?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
23 Apr 13

I'm not sure whats in it but this is a real product! have seen it in the garden centre 🙂

Cat-a-pult 🙂

http://www.crowders.co.uk/library/products/large/large_1_79709676_cat_a_pult_cat_repellent_1_litre_by_bayer_garden.jpg

what do you make of that ?
Any cats in my garden get sprayed with concentrated DHMO ... seems to work.
😀

e

Moves
23 Apr 13
1 edit

you may think you are so clever with your dhmo 🙂... but bruce lee was killed by a pain killer and jackie o by her hair dye - and don't delude yourself that they have got much better since!

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
23 Apr 13

... jackie o by her hair dye -
Is this a reference to the statistical study linking hair dye to bladder cancer?

Didn't Jackie have blood cancer?