Political Science

Political Science

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
26 Oct 11

Originally posted by Shallow Blue
Yes, and it demonstrates quite nicely why political "science" is not a science. By denying all the features which make a scientific experiment what it is, the authors show a clear lack of understanding of the scientific method. Unless your interference is not repeatable, testable, provable, transposable, it is not an experiment, it is mere self-indulgen ...[text shortened]... book stacking scientist, and an Indesign scientist.

Yes, and that, too.

Richard
Where, specifically, did the authors deny any of the features that constitute scientific experimentation? Laboratory experiments on game-theoretic decision making are controlled and repeatable. They allow for the testing of hypotheses regarding competition, or valuation, or whatever. These hypotheses are disconfirmable (I'm not sure why you say 'provable' given that empirical disciplines don't deal in proof, but in disconfirmation and corroboration). These experimental methodologies outlined in the article are typical for the social sciences. You'll find similar experiments in cognitive science and psychology. So I'm not really sure what you're on about here.

Moves
28 Oct 11

Originally posted by JS357
It isn't unusual for sciences to evolve from less rigorous and less empirical methodologies. Aristotelian "physics" had bodies falling at a constant speed, for example, due to a disregard for empirical, reproducible data. Maybe political "science" will follow a similar trajectory.
Perhaps, but from Aristoteles to Galilei was a millennium and a half. Perhaps the same amount of time from now political science will exist.

Richard

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
28 Oct 11

Perhaps, but from Aristoteles to Galilei was a millennium and a half. Perhaps the same amount of time from now political science will exist.

Richard
I assume the development will happen alot quicker than those mentioned, but I like the point.

Moves
28 Oct 11

Richard
I think it will take some time; for the same reasons it took time for the currently 'hard sciences' to develop. Powerful entities with an interests in keeping the common folk under their control, will resist. What trickle-down or bubble-up politician would want his theories examined, when in fact he might not believe in them, but believes only in the interests of his lobbyists.