Newest element, 115 just confirmed.

Newest element, 115 just confirmed.

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
29 Aug 13

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/28/world/europe/new-chemical-element/index.html

The periodic table just got a bit larger. I keep waiting for the next stable level, 118 and above.

w
misanthrope

seclusion

Moves
07 Sep 13

Things sure have changed since I was a kid. There used to be less elements, more planets, less moons, only Saturn had rings, Diplodocus was the longest dinosaur, Brachiosaurus was the heaviest, Brontosaurus was real...hard to keep up

PDI

Moves
07 Sep 13
1 edit

Since these superheavies decay so quickly, one cannot say that they have chemical properties or physical properties like melting point, density, conductivity or color. But can experts in quantum theory say theoretically what the properties of a chunk of pure element would be if only the nuclei were stable?

w
misanthrope

seclusion

Moves
08 Sep 13

Originally posted by woodypusher
Things sure have changed since I was a kid. There used to be less elements, more planets, less moons, only Saturn had rings, Diplodocus was the longest dinosaur, Brachiosaurus was the heaviest, Brontosaurus was real...hard to keep up
*more planets in our solar system

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
09 Sep 13

Originally posted by woodypusher
*more planets in our solar system
A reference to Pluto's demotion methinks.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
09 Sep 13

Originally posted by wolfgang59
A reference to Pluto's demotion methinks.
There is one out there, no atmosphere, called Eris.

Planet Rain

Moves
11 Sep 13

Originally posted by Paul Dirac II
Since these superheavies decay so quickly, one cannot say that they have chemical properties or physical properties like melting point, density, conductivity or color. But can experts in quantum theory say theoretically what the properties of a chunk of pure element would be if only the nuclei were stable?
The quantum model of the hydrogen atom is a truly complicated beast, though it involves only a single proton "orbited" by a single electron. Maybe someone can set me straight here, but I don't think physicists to this day have managed to work out the complete model of the next element in line, which is helium. And anyway a quantum model doesn't necessarily bear up when you have more than one atom of a given element present in a solid mass, so it will probably be useless in predicting melting temperatures under various atmospheric conditions.

Science. It has gone so far, yet has so far to go...

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
11 Sep 13

Originally posted by Soothfast
The quantum model of the hydrogen atom is a truly complicated beast, though it involves only a single proton "orbited" by a single electron. Maybe someone can set me straight here, but I don't think physicists to this day have managed to work out the complete model of the next element in line, which is helium. And anyway a quantum model doesn't necessari ...[text shortened]... der various atmospheric conditions.

Science. It has gone so far, yet has so far to go...
In fact the Problem of the H2+ molecule is the most difficult entity yet described (nearly) perfectly by equations.

The Problem is in the elctrons. Look up the "three Body Problem".

But for metals we have a quite good Approximation of physical properties via a hypothetical grid and the electron gas Approximation.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
11 Sep 13
1 edit

Originally posted by sonhouse
There is one out there, no atmosphere, called Eris.
Eris, Xena or Eric (as I like to call it) is about Pluto size and so sadly just another -oid.

Perhaps Sonhouse you could change the lyrics to Eris the half a planet 🙂