1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    01 Aug '15 16:49
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    From that time, I would say there was a noticeable lack of freedom of the press, just like Iran, but they didn't kill outright because you published a piece dissing the government, they got you financially, make you unable to hold a job. If it hadn't been for Anslinger and J Edward Hoover and the prohibition era, there would not be the sheer size of the car ...[text shortened]... d to pursue his sick agenda.
    He was a piece of work, reported to dress in women's clothes.....
    I just trying to understand the harshness of the time back then.
    What country today suffer from the same governement as the citizens of the 50s suffered? Just to get me into the right level. My information now is only that of Hollywood's and you cannot rely of that, can you?
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Aug '15 16:531 edit
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I just trying to understand the harshness of the time back then.
    What country today suffer from the same governement as the citizens of the 50s suffered? Just to get me into the right level. My information now is only that of Hollywood's and you cannot rely of that, can you?
    John Edgar Hoover (January 1, 1895 – May 2, 1972) was the first Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) of the United States, appointed director of the Bureau of Investigation—predecessor to the FBI—in 1924. He was instrumental in founding the FBI in 1935, where he remained director until his death in 1972 at age 77. Hoover is credited with building the FBI into a larger crime-fighting agency, and with instituting a number of modernizations to police technology, such as a centralized fingerprint file and forensic laboratories.

Late in life and after his death, Hoover became a controversial figure as evidence of his secretive abuses of power began to surface. He was found to have exceeded the jurisdiction of the FBI[1] and to have used the FBI to harass political dissenters and activists, to amass secret files on political leaders,[2] and to collect evidence using illegal methods.[3] Hoover consequently amassed a great deal of power and was in a position to intimidate and threaten sitting Presidents.[4] According to biographer Kenneth Ackerman, the notion is a myth that Hoover's secret files kept presidents from firing him;[5] however, Richard Nixon was recorded as stating in 1971 that one of the reasons why he did not fire Hoover was that he was afraid of reprisals against him from Hoover.[6]

According to President Harry S. Truman, Hoover transformed the FBI into his private secret police force. Truman stated that "we want no Gestapo or secret police. The FBI is tending in that direction. They are dabbling in sex-life scandals and plain blackmail. J. Edgar Hoover would give his right eye to take over, and all congressmen and senators are afraid of him".[7]

This is a bit about that world class assshole Hoover, he had his own private police force going into private lives of hundreds of thousands of Americans in his push to political power. He perverted the FBI.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Aug '15 21:294 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Aug '15 20:03

5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Aug '15 21:04
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    He was still a hypocrite no matter what his sexual orientation was, he was running his own secret service police creating his own personal power base and he hated Mexicans and Jazz musicians whom he pursued relentlessly using the laws enacted by the efforts of him and Anslinger. The world is MUCH worse off now because of his involvement, the cartels probably have statues devoted to Hoover🙂
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Aug '15 21:481 edit

7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Aug '15 16:33
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    No, but I bet he would have arrested a female dresser if he caught one in a bar.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree