1. Joined
    25 Aug '06
    Moves
    24 Aug '09 10:09
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I say you cannot see Venus in the evening in the east.
    Are we talking about a different object?
    I didn't say you can see Venus in the evening in the east.

I said that the object seen in the evening in the east is Jupiter!

And the object seen at 4AM in the east is Venus!
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    24 Aug '09 10:47
    Originally posted by David113
    I didn't say you can see Venus in the evening in the east.

I said that the object seen in the evening in the east is Jupiter!

And the object seen at 4AM in the east is Venus!
    Sorry for my confusion. Two separate objects, it is.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Aug '09 22:203 edits
    Thanks for all the replies to what was clearly a vague OP, sorry.

In my limited experience and to support Fabian, it was definitely not Venus - far too big, unless something weird has happened to her orbit!

I can now confirm (for any astromoners) it was East by South East if that helps. It was huge and not moving; I believe it can only have been the space station or some satellite in fixed orbit.
  4. Joined
    25 Aug '06
    Moves
    25 Aug '09 00:14
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Thanks for all the replies to what was clearly a vague OP, sorry.

In my limited experience and to support Fabian, it was definitely not Venus - far too big, unless something weird has happened to her orbit!

I can now confirm (for any astromoners) it was East by South East if that helps. It was huge and not moving; I believe it can only have been the space station or some satellite in fixed orbit.
    If it was not moving, it was definitely NOT the space station. The space station moves fast (I saw it a few times). And no satellite in geostationary orbit can be seen from earth with naked eye.

If the object is still there it is probably Jupiter. As I said before look again on september 2 about an hour or two after sunset. Jupiter will be below the moon and to the right, so you can identify it.

If you want to see the space station I will tell you when and where you can see it from London.
  5. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    31 Aug '09 21:231 edit
    Jebus..it was frickin mars ok?

Mars' orbit is bringing it closer to earth than usual this august. It's nothing unusual, it happens every so often. Look it up.

There is even a hoax about it. Read more.

http://www.snopes.com/science/astronomy/brightmars.asp
  6. Joined
    25 Aug '06
    Moves
    31 Aug '09 22:132 edits
    Originally posted by uzless
    Jebus..it was frickin mars ok?

Mars' orbit is bringing it closer to earth than usual this august. It's nothing unusual, it happens every so often. Look it up.

There is even a hoax about it. Read more.

http://www.snopes.com/science/astronomy/brightmars.asp
    Today is not 2003.

In august 2009 it was impossible to see mars in the east in the early evening hours. And even when it did rise, its magnitude was about 1.0 - nothing spectacular.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree