Massive black hole in galaxy center: Animation

Massive black hole in galaxy center: Animation

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
12 Dec 08

"At the center of our Milky Way Galaxy lies a supermassive black hole. Once a controversial claim, this conclusion is now solidly based on 16 years of observations that map the orbits of 28 stars very near the galactic center."

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap081211.html

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
14 Dec 08

Originally posted by Crowley
"At the center of our Milky Way Galaxy lies a supermassive black hole. Once a controversial claim, this conclusion is now solidly based on 16 years of observations that map the orbits of 28 stars very near the galactic center."

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap081211.html
And your point is???😏

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
14 Dec 08
1 edit

Originally posted by bill718
And your point is???😏
One big point is if you know the orbits, the timing and such, you can figure out the masses of both the black hole and the stars orbiting it. Fundamental data hard to get any other way. And your anti-science stance comes from what?
This is supposed to be a science forum unless I am mistaken so why don't you go back to general and let the big boys play, ok?

SP

Moves
14 Dec 08

if only we could solve the global warming problem

d

Moves
15 Dec 08

That's very impressive!!!

Although I don't think it can do much for the global warming problem mentioned before.

J

Moves
16 Dec 08

There's actually a black hole forming in Switzerland as we speak. So far
they've managed to control it using alien technology obtained after the
Roswell incident, but it's slowly getting out of hand. I can see it clearly from
my position now. It's... it's amazing... Things are being sucked into it. Cars,
buildings, the ground itself... and... and... it seems to tear them into thin
air. Amazing! Amazing!.. Amazing! It's growing! Oh my GOD! It's gro...

Alekhine's Gun

🤔 Bolton

Moves
17 Dec 08

27,000 light years away.....for a moment there I was begining to worry.

ER

Moves
18 Dec 08

I remember seeing a series on the history channel about these black holes. Supposed to be one in the center of every galaxy yeah?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
18 Dec 08

Originally posted by Electric Red
I remember seeing a series on the history channel about these black holes. Supposed to be one in the center of every galaxy yeah?
some have two in orbit around each other, the gravitational lens boys at LIGO are waiting for a couple like that to crash into each other generating a humungus gravity wave detectable across the universe.
I think they will have a long wait.