1. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    13 Mar '12 05:48
    Is this just non-sense? A perpetual motion motor using magnets somehow ?

Manny
  2. Subscribercoquette
    Already mated
    Omaha, Nebraska, USA
    Moves
    13 Mar '12 06:01
    Originally posted by menace71

Manny
    yes
  3. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    13 Mar '12 06:03
    i haven't seen any that can generate work energy. there are some that can sustain themselves for a long time, given very good bearings and lubrication, but sustaining themselves is a var cry from generating work energy.
  4. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    13 Mar '12 06:06
    here is one they claimed would produce power.

YouTube

but that video was uploaded in 2010 and i still haven't heard anything about it making any headway.
  5. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    13 Mar '12 07:241 edit
    The Australian Lutec company produced this one. Their website still exists but has been inactive for years. http://www.lutec.com.au/how.htm

From the Skeptics Australia website:
    "Queensland, on a roll, also produced the Bent Spoon laureate for 2001. During this year a couple of inventors from Cairns started a company that launched the latest in a long line of “perpetual motion” (or “over unity” as they are now popularly named) devices guaranteed to solve the world’s energy problems. Thanks largely to the work of Skeptic, Ian Bryce, this gadget was exposed as a technological fallacy, and the company Lutec Pty Ltd was named as the very deserving winner."

That was way back in 2001, long before the YouTube video. Here's something more recent:
    http://depletedcranium.com/the-problem-with-lutec/

Seems it was just another great idea that didn't work. It's now rated as a "fraud" or "scam" on many websites.
  6. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    13 Mar '12 11:282 edits

Manny
    I have theorised that, using superconductor magnets and superconductor wires only, you can make both electric motors and electric generators, literally, 100% efficient.
    For that to work, you will have to remove all frictional losses by making the barrings magnetic barrings using superconductors and put both the electric motors and electric generators in a pure vacuum to eliminate air friction.
    You could then feed the mechanical output from an electric motor into an electric generator and feed the electric output from that electric generator into that electric motor thus once you got it started, the two will continue to move indefinitely.
    Unfortunately this would be a totally useless and pointless perpetual motion set-up as you could not make any new energy from it and you could not make any non-trivial practical use of it.
  7. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    13 Mar '12 17:19
    Originally posted by humy
    I have theorised that, using superconductor magnets and superconductor wires only, you can make both electric motors and electric generators, literally, 100% efficient.
    For that to work, you will have to remove all frictional losses by making the barrings magnetic barrings using superconductors and put both the electric motors and electric generators in a pure ...[text shortened]... ould not make any new energy from it and you could not make any non-trivial practical use of it.
    what you're describing is an elaborate battery.
  8. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    14 Mar '12 02:32
    http://free-energy-info.co.uk/

seems most of these are scams though 🙂 Just seems very interesting no doubt.

Manny
  9. Cape Town
    Moves
    14 Mar '12 07:50
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    what you're describing is an elaborate battery.
    Actually its two batteries, continually charging each other. A superconducting coil is a battery and a rotating mass is a battery. The motor/generator transfer energy between the two batteries.
    I don't believe it can be done 100% efficiently as a magnetic field is not finite.
  10. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    14 Mar '12 10:57
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Actually its two batteries, continually charging each other. A superconducting coil is a battery and a rotating mass is a battery. The motor/generator transfer energy between the two batteries.
    I don't believe it can be done 100% efficiently as a magnetic field is not finite.
    “...I don't believe it can be done 100% efficiently as a magnetic field is not finite. ...”

what if all the magnetic fields is completely surrounded by a layer of superconductor i.e. entirely contained within a container made of superconductor?
    Then the magnetic field would be finite because the superconductor container would stop any of the magnetic field to go outside of it.
  11. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    15 Mar '12 13:00
    http://free-energy-info.co.uk/

seems most of these are scams though 🙂 Just seems very interesting no doubt.
    Most are scams and the rest is foolishness and a complete misunderstanding of physics. It starts in the very first paragraph, where the author is confused about electron spin. Granted, the use of the same term for two similar but non-identical phenomena can be confusing to some laymen - but a layman who pretends to write about physics should first make sure he isn't among the confused ones.

Richard
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Mar '12 13:21
    what if all the magnetic fields is completely surrounded by a layer of superconductor i.e. entirely contained within a container made of superconductor?
    Then the magnetic field would be finite because the superconductor container would stop any of the magnetic field to go outside of it.
    So magnetism isn't like gravity? I hadn't realised that. It doesn't just dissipate with distance, it can be stopped in its tracks. I stand corrected then.
  13. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    15 Mar '12 16:43
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    So magnetism isn't like gravity? I hadn't realised that. It doesn't just dissipate with distance, it can be stopped in its tracks. I stand corrected then.
    The characteristic of superconductors that makes it technologically possible to contain a magnetic field ( although it is much more often used to block the field from entering an area rather than contain it there ) so that the field doesn't continue in a direction for an infinite distance ( like it would otherwise do normally ) is called the “London depth” :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_penetration_depth

Basically, a magnetic field doesn't obey the same rules like it normally does in non-superconductor materials and actually can be stopped dead i.e. totally blocked a certain distance into the superconductor material.
  14. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Mar '12 17:02
    The characteristic of superconductors that makes it technologically possible to contain a magnetic field ( although it is much more often used to block the field from entering an area rather than contain it there ) so that the field doesn't continue in a direction for an infinite distance ( like it would otherwise do normally ) is called the “London depth” :
    ...[text shortened]... can be stopped dead i.e. totally blocked a certain distance into the superconductor material.
    At best it would perpetuate its own movement but any energy extracted from the system would slow it down so like he said, its a battery at best and not an energy source. You have to supply energy to bootstrap the movement.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree