1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Jul '12 23:37
    Originally posted by Thequ1ck
    Sorry for getting all serious on you guys but I don't like to be labelled.
    If you don't want to be labeled, at least spell it right.
  2. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Jul '12 13:33
    Originally posted by Thequ1ck
    Sorry for getting all serious on you guys but I don't like to be labelled.
    If you don't like being labeled, refrain from using terms like "pseudo-science mumbo jumbo", "science sux", and "nerdy convention" in the presence of people with better scientific knowledge than you.

You only have yourself to blame for not being taken seriously.

Richard
  3. Standard memberThequ1ck
    Fast above
    Slow Below
    Moves
    09 Jul '12 13:46
    KazetNagorra is a seasoned poster and someone I respect. Not just because he's Dutch which I find pretty cool. Unusual for him to go all 3rd kind on me like that. Seems to me that I seem to have a rep here for being a psycho that precedes any logical debate.
  4. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Moves
    10 Jul '12 06:56
    Disappointing that this crazy thread is the only discussion of the Higgs-like Boson news. What I found most interesting is that the particle appears to be almost exactly what was predicted, but not quite.

If they had discovered a new particle that massed and behaved exactly as predicted, there would be no surprises, no new data from which to propel further expansion and refinement of theory. Theory would have been perfect, with no handholds for further research.

If it were really off, well something totally weird would have happened.

But by being just barely off from predictions, the new particle provides new directions for research, which may lead to quicker advances. And it gives more evidence to base further theory on, rather than going further and further out on the limb of supposition (cough string theorists cough). I'm really excited. Now maybe we can finally have hovercars!
  5. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    10 Jul '12 07:57
    Originally posted by UmbrageOfSnow
    Disappointing that this crazy thread is the only discussion of the Higgs-like Boson news. What I found most interesting is that the particle appears to be almost exactly what was predicted, but not quite.

If they had discovered a new particle that massed and behaved exactly as predicted, there would be no surprises, no new data from which ...[text shortened]... n (cough string theorists cough). I'm really excited. Now maybe we can finally have hovercars!
    I like you optimism.
  6. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    24 Jul '12 04:081 edit
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/05/science/cern-physicists-may-have-discovered-higgs-boson-particle.html?pagewanted=all

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_boson

Manny

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree