Help Science, and Discover your Personality!

Help Science, and Discover your Personality!

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Krackpot Kibitzer

Right behind you...

Moves
15 Apr 08

Hi,

I'm a research psychologist. One of the things I study is personality.

Together with a student of mine, I am doing a project on a questionnaire called the Oxford Capacity Test. This is the questionnaire that Scientologists use to recruit people to their Church, and to measure their alleged progress towards mental health.

Amazingly, for an oft-administered scale, it hasn't been scientifically validated in the way that questionnaires normally are, even by curious external parties. So I want to see what happens when you try to do this.

Basically, I want to systematically analyze whether the items on the questionnaire hang together in the way that is claimed, and whether the clusters of items that emerge correlate sensibly with scores from already validated questionnaires.

So, I looking for people to fill out the questionnaire. One of the reasons is that it contains 200 items, requiring more than a few minutes to complete.

Given this, here are two incentives:

First. you will be entered into a free draw for £30. Just email psychosurvey@hotmail.co.uk anonymously. No link to your results is made (which leaves the system open to abuse; but I am trusting you! Even you engine users!).

Second, you will get feedback from the proper (and shorter) questionnaires I use about your personality. This will be delivered, once the results are complete, by having you go online, and type into an automated feedback program the same anonymous password you inputted before filling out the questionnanire. You'll get some comparative statistics, and some verbal explanation.

Of course, psychological science will also the beneficiary here, in case altruism is your thing!

There are two links to access. Both are on this page:

http://www.psychology.soton.ac.uk/psychosurvey/

Scroll down and click, in order:

Discover your Personality! Part 1
Discover your Personality! Part 2

Any questions? Email: psychosurvey@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks a lot! I'll provide details on my findings at RHP at all events. Maybe you can even ask a friend if they would like to take part too.

Aiden

t

Australia

Moves
16 Apr 08

Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
Hi,

Together with a student of mine, I am doing a project on a questionnaire called the Oxford Capacity Test. This is the questionnaire that Scientologists use to recruit people to their Church, and to measure their alleged progress towards mental health.

Amazingly, for an ...[text shortened]... at all events. Maybe you can even ask a friend if they would like to take part too.

Aiden
Always willing to help a fellow scientist out :0)

Just completed it, only took about 15-20mins

Good luck

Pale Blue Dot

Moves
16 Apr 08

Hi,

Amazingly, for an ...[text shortened]... at all events. Maybe you can even ask a friend if they would like to take part too.

Aiden
Won't the results be skewed by the fact that only a certain group with a certain personality type respond? (The altruists, the curious, and the money-grubbing gambling types). Also, you're asking chess players who most (even themselves) will acknowledge are just plain nuts (a heady cocktail of OCD and Asperger's). Then another filter is added, you're asking chess players who visit the forums! The most twisted and depraved variety of all!

But seriously, good luck. 🙂

Cape Town

Moves
16 Apr 08

Originally posted by Green Paladin
Won't the results be skewed by the fact that only a certain group with a certain personality type respond? (The altruists, the curious, and the money-grubbing gambling types). Also, you're asking chess players who most (even themselves) will acknowledge are just plain nuts (a heady cocktail of OCD and Asperger's). Then another filter is added, you're a ...[text shortened]... t the forums! The most twisted and depraved variety of all!

Well the scientollogists will also be getting a certain group of people but possibly a different group.

z

Moves
16 Apr 08

That was freaking long. I hope it helps you.

Krackpot Kibitzer

Right behind you...

Moves
16 Apr 08

Originally posted by timebombted
Always willing to help a fellow scientist out :0)

Just completed it, only took about 15-20mins

Good luck
Thanks a lot!

Krackpot Kibitzer

Right behind you...

Moves
16 Apr 08

Originally posted by zebano
That was freaking long. I hope it helps you.
Yes, it is long. I didn't design it!

It will help. Thanks a lot!

Krackpot Kibitzer

Right behind you...

Moves
16 Apr 08

Originally posted by Green Paladin
Won't the results be skewed by the fact that only a certain group with a certain personality type respond? (The altruists, the curious, and the money-grubbing gambling types). Also, you're asking chess players who most (even themselves) will acknowledge are just plain nuts (a heady cocktail of OCD and Asperger's). Then another filter is added, you're a ...[text shortened]... t the forums! The most twisted and depraved variety of all!

They will be skewed, yes. But there is hardly any way around it, given the length of the test, and the most coercive and inducive resources at my disposal! For some of my purposes, a convenience sample of the reasonably articulate suffices, as I am not seeking to generalize to some general population, or to estimate particular parameters. I gather people from non-chess sources too, so there should be reasonable variance in responses.

Krackpot Kibitzer

Right behind you...

Moves
16 Apr 08

The main thread for this will henceforth be in Spirituality. Thanks for listening!

t

Australia

Moves
17 Apr 08
1 edit

I'm also very curious about where else you have posted requested for people to do this test........ as it could severely bias your results? Or does you analysis account for this?

Edit:

Ignore - just noticed your previous post to the same question.

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
23 Jun 08

Hi,

Aiden
How did this end up?