Future of lenses, flat, VERY flat.

Future of lenses, flat, VERY flat.

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
128d

https://phys.org/news/2023-12-3d-multilayer-high-numerical-aperture-achromatic.html

Maybe in ten years glass lenses will be all obsolete and a new era of optics started today.

Über-Nerd

Moves
128d

@sonhouse

Interesting technically, but I don’t see the application for glasses for correcting astigmatism in humans. That would be like shooting ducks with laser-guided atom bombs. This technology is probably relevant only in industrial applications.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
128d

@moonbus
This tech is small enough to be incorporated in contacts, we are talking microns high stuff. I think smart phones will get them first, lighter, more light gathering power and so forth but telescopes could be built with industrial sized processes and of course we are not talking even 2025, more like 2028 or so but I think a revolution is starting.

Über-Nerd

Moves
128d

@sonhouse said
@moonbus
This tech is small enough to be incorporated in contacts, we are talking microns high stuff. I think smart phones will get them first, lighter, more light gathering power and so forth but telescopes could be built with industrial sized processes and of course we are not talking even 2025, more like 2028 or so but I think a revolution is starting.
I foresee medical/diagnostic/surgical applications too. Putting cameras in places where the sun don’t shine.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
128d

@moonbus
Maybe even permanently installed, powered by the body and transmitting data like video and audio, temperature, Ph and the like via bluetooth or whatever pops up in the next ten years. By then it might go beyond UHF and into Terahertz territory. I just saw a terahertz amp pushing out some 30 DB of gain so that frequency band is getting closer to commercial applications.

Planet Rain

Moves
126d

@sonhouse said
@moonbus
Maybe even permanently installed, powered by the body and transmitting data like video and audio, temperature, Ph and the like via bluetooth or whatever pops up in the next ten years. By then it might go beyond UHF and into Terahertz territory. I just saw a terahertz amp pushing out some 30 DB of gain so that frequency band is getting closer to commercial applications.
And everyone could post their footage on PooTube and get a little ad revenue. Win-win.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
126d

@Soothfast
Ok folks, here is MY internal data, blood flow, Ph, O2 stats, Glucose, the works, I made it into a video with music by Bruce Springsteen.

Moves
125d

@moonbus said
@sonhouse

Interesting technically, but I don’t see the application for glasses for correcting astigmatism in humans. That would be like shooting ducks with laser-guided atom bombs. This technology is probably relevant only in industrial applications.
He meant glass lenses not “glasses” as in spectacles.

Moves
125d

@sonhouse said
@moonbus
This tech is small enough to be incorporated in contacts, we are talking microns high stuff.
Contact lenses microns thick? People have to be able to pick them up, and then not break them.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
123d

@divegeester
The optics are little micron sized posts that interact with light, they would be on the surface of the contacts which would be regular thickness and transparent.
The magic would happen by the exact placement and size of the posts.