1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    28 Mar '19 09:54
    YouTube

Real or no, I have few posts about this each with different speeds of the camera which makes me doubt it.
  2. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    28 Mar '19 11:1112 edits
    I'm not sure why you give this thread the title of "Faster than light" because, as far as I could see, your video didn't hint of anything faster than light.

I found your video interesting but potentially very confusing because they kept saying in it that they were "seeing photons moving through space", which makes it sound JUST AS IF they where saying they were detecting individual photons while continuing to move through space, which was NOT what they were doing else that would be nonsense because that would be physically IMPOSSIBLE!
    Obviously, you can "detect" an individual photon, yes. You can also deduce from this detection that it must have moved from its origin to the detector. BUT, because detection of a photon implies its absorption and thus its existence to immediately cease, as soon as you detect a photon then you immediately stop it moving through any more space and thus it is IMPOSSIBLE to image a particular single photon continuously moving through space! Thus this couldn't have been what they meant.
    I think they really should be much more careful of the exact words they use.
  3. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    28 Mar '19 12:46
    I think it would be less misleading if they said something vaguely like
    "...seeing pulses of light moving through space"
    rather than
    "...seeing photons moving through space"
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Mar '19 13:18
    @humy said
    I think it would be less misleading if they said something vaguely like
    "...seeing pulses of light moving through space"
    rather than
    "...seeing photons moving through space"
    Kind of like seeing a cat run as seen through a picket fence, to make a rough analogy. You can't see the cat when the slats are in the way but you can register the video of the cat when it is in between slats.
    Obviously you can't like ride along with a single photon since for it to be registered it has to hit something along the way, detector, whatever.
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    29 Mar '19 02:19
    @humy said
    I'm not sure why you give this thread the title of "Faster than light" because, as far as I could see, your video didn't hint of anything faster than light.

I found your video interesting but potentially very confusing because they kept saying in it that they were "seeing photons moving through space", which makes it sound JUST AS IF they where saying they were detecting indi ...[text shortened]... been what they meant.
    I think they really should be much more careful of the exact words they use.
    It wasn't the first one I saw along these lines, but you are quite right thanks for clearing that up.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree