Computer guru's, a question about wifi:

Computer guru's, a question about wifi:

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cape Town

Moves
28 Dec 15

Originally posted by sonhouse
Another question, about Open Office. Can you download it to a CD so I can install it on their comp, they don't have internet as of yet.
Just download the appropriate full install file from here:
https://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html

Then put it on a thumb drive and take it to them and install. You could of course burn it to CD but its not worth the effort. CDs are so old school. 🙂

Cape Town

Moves
28 Dec 15

... they are very poor and do not have internet ...
What does the cheapest internet cost in the US?

For basic email, the cheapest is usually via cell phone. In fact if you have a smartphone and can afford the data, then you just make your smartphone a hotspot and you will be able to use the internet via his Wifi dongle and you can download OpenOffice that way. Its only 134Mb, but be careful as his computer will get really excited when it sees the internet and will want to update everything.

rc

Moves
28 Dec 15
4 edits

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
RC shows his blatant hypocrisy once again. If nothing else, he's consistent.

Chances are you're reading this article because you suspect someone is piggybacking or using your WiFi without your permission. [b]When wireless squatters steal your WiFi, they eat up your bandwidth. In extreme cases, they may even steal information off your compute ...[text shortened]... not steal[/b], Do not bear false witness, Do not defraud, Honor your father and mother.
[/b]
I am sorry i forgot you were a humourless half-man half-machine semi organic droid almost immune to human sentiment. But hey we will not take away any opportunity for you to demonstrate your inability to grasp almost anything out with the scope of your narrow self righteous perspective and forgive you your inability to relate to something like human sentiment.

Your proclivity for strangling the humanity out of posts with those gelid tentacles of yours is well known and understood, but its ok, we can tweek those judgemental receptors in your synapses to make them less accusatory and more inclined for introspection.

This is science spanklberger take your theology to the appropriate forum. Does that compute? Good.

rc

Moves
28 Dec 15
1 edit

This is my son's comp and they are very poor and do not have internet ATT. I thought about getting an antenna that does hook to someone's wifi but first I will try to download here.

I gather you need an image, I thought it had to be an executable. How do you do that bit?
Dude you realise I was only joking right? Don't hook up to anyone's Wifi unless you know what you are doing and why. Contrary to twitheads judgemental accusations there is such a thing as ethical hacking in which one finds exploits in a system so as to make the owners of the system aware of those security vulnerabilities in order to make the system more robust. If you crack your neighbours Wifi you need to tell them how to prevent it in future. That is ethical hacking as opposed to covertly cracking their Wifi security and logging onto their network free of charge.

There is such a thing as the open Wifi movement which seeks to make Wifi available free of charge to anyone while at the same time maintaining the owners privacy. My own router has a guest feature which allocates a certain bandwidth for public use, thus anyone can use my Wifi connection up to a point.

https://openwireless.org/

Cape Town

Moves
28 Dec 15

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
This is science spanklberger take your theology to the appropriate forum. Does that compute? Good.
So encouraging people to steal is OK in this forum because the title says 'science'?

rc

Moves
28 Dec 15
2 edits

Originally posted by twhitehead
So encouraging people to steal is OK in this forum because the title says 'science'?
The chances of sonhouse being able to steal anything with no internet connection are zero. Seeing that you are merely a droid its understandable that you fail to grasp that. It also makes its understandable why most human sentiment and content is beyond you.

Cape Town

Moves
28 Dec 15

Dude you realise I was only joking right?
When challenged its suddenly 'only joking'?

Don't hook up to anyone's Wifi unless you know what you are doing and why.
Actually don't do it unless you have permission.

Contrary to twitheads judgemental accusations....
Actually it wasn't me. But now you've blamed me, I might as well take you to the cleaners.

...there is such a thing as ethical hacking in which one finds exploits in a system so as to make the owners of the system aware of those security vulnerabilities in order to make the system more robust.
But that is not what you were advocating. You told him to steal his neighbours wifi. Pure and simple.

I'd love to see you try out your 'ethical steeling' excuse next time you get caught shoplifting. (But officer, I was just making the owners of the system aware of those security vulnerabilities )

If you crack your neighbours Wifi you need to tell them how to prevent it in future. That is ethical hacking as opposed to covertly cracking their Wifi security and logging onto their network free of charge.
And you advocated the latter.
I must also point out that cracking his wifi without his permission, even if your intent is to tell him about it, is both illegal and immoral. Ask him first.
Again, I would love to see what happens when you are caught breaking into your neighbours car and you tell the police that you were planning to tell him about it and that you were just testing the security of his car door locks.

There is such a thing as the open wifi movement which seeks to make Wifi available free of charge to anyone while at the same time maintaining the owners privacy.
And a great thing it is too. It doesn't however require deliberately cracking your neighbours wifi password without his permission.

The fact that you can do certain things from the comfort of your couch does not make them OK.

rc

Moves
28 Dec 15
3 edits

When challenged its suddenly 'only joking'?

[b]Don't hook up to anyone's Wifi unless you know what you are doing and why.

Actually don't do it unless you have permission.

Contrary to twitheads judgemental accusations....
Actually it wasn't me. But now you've blamed me, I might as well take you to the cleaners.

...there is such a ...[text shortened]...

The fact that you can do certain things from the comfort of your couch does not make them OK.
ummm see the little emoticon with the tongue hanging out people put that at the end of their texts to indicate that they are joking. Now what have you to say for yourself when presented with empirical evidence in the face of your now baseless accusations. Its so sad to see you reduced to this, or rather pathetic if I am honest, then again that's what you get for being a self assuming haughty windbag.

My advice to you is to refrain from moralising over other people, also try to refrain from making assumptions about their motives, who knows you may do better.

Cape Town

Moves
28 Dec 15

My advice to you is to refrain from moralising over other people, also try to refrain from making assumptions about their motives, who knows you may do better.
My advice to you is to read the name of the person you are responding to before you accuse the wrong person.

rc

Moves
28 Dec 15
2 edits

My advice to you is to read the name of the person you are responding to before you accuse the wrong person.
No you stated and called into question that i was only joking, you got toasted for that. Just suck up the counsel and be more careful next time. Stinkofone is always moralising over other people, he gets counsel about that.

Cape Town

Moves
28 Dec 15

No you stated and called into question that i was only joking, you got toasted for that. Just suck up the counsel and be more careful next time. Stinkofone is always moralising over other people, he gets counsel about that.
I also called into question a number of your other statements which you will find a lot harder to pass of as 'only joking'.
And you wrongly attributed the original complaint to me.

rc

Moves
28 Dec 15

I also called into question a number of your other statements which you will find a lot harder to pass of as 'only joking'.
And you wrongly attributed the original complaint to me.
no you were caught slobbering, just take your medicine and you'll be ok.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
29 Dec 15

no you were caught slobbering, just take your medicine and you'll be ok.
All well and good🙂 but I did ask about open office, how you make it so you can put it on a disc and be able to fire it up on another comp, the one without net.

It turns out I already have a version of open office on my own comp. Can I suck it off to a disk and make it transferable to another comp?

Cape Town

Moves
29 Dec 15

Can I suck it off to a disk and make it transferable to another comp?
Not easily. Its only 134Mb, just download it already! And don't bother with a CD unless your sons computer is so old it doesn't have USB. If it is really that old then please please please go buy him a new one.

rc

Moves
29 Dec 15
1 edit

All well and good🙂 but I did ask about open office, how you make it so you can put it on a disc and be able to fire it up on another comp, the one without net.

It turns out I already have a version of open office on my own comp. Can I suck it off to a disk and make it transferable to another comp?
you are much better getting the source files and burning the ISO image onto a disc because from experience sometimes windows installs fail due to issues with the registry, missing library files etc The burned ISO image should autorun from what i have read from the apache open office site.

https://www.openoffice.org/distribution/cdrom/iso_download.html