1. Cape Town
    Moves
    15 Feb '15 19:44
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    When I say 'speed' I am talking about what we CAN see, galaxies, which are receding from each other at a known rate, which obviously gets greater the further the objects are. Doppler shift shows that pretty clearly.
    So when you say:
    I think they say we are expanding about 3X the speed of light.

Is that the relative speed between us, and the most distant observed object? If so, are the most distant observable objects in opposite directions, going away from each other at 6x the speed of light?
    And is this after correcting for the expansion the universe has done since the light left the objects?
  2. Germany
    Moves
    16 Feb '15 19:28
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    I tend to believe that major breakthroughs in our understanding of the
    universe will get announced in Nature or similar... and not on phys.org
    Which feels a bit click-baity to me.
    The article on the phys.org website refers to a paper published in the journal Physics Letters B. It is actually very uncommon for a theoretical physics paper to be published in Nature unless it accompanies or directly relates to a current experiment. The theoretical papers predicting the Higgs boson, for instance, were not published in Nature. Usually the "best" a theoretical physicist can hope for is a publication in Physical Review Letters.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree