A question about the definition of impossible.

A question about the definition of impossible.

Science

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ZB

Moves
28 Oct 09

Just because something hasn't been done yet can you call it impossible? No matter how bizzare can anything be called impossible?

F

Moves
28 Oct 09

Originally posted by Zort Boy
Just because something hasn't been done yet can you call it impossible? No matter how bizzare can anything be called impossible?
(1) If the only reason is that 'it has never been done' then it's no way to tell if it's impossible or not.

(2) If it violates the laws of the nature, known or not, then it is truly impossible.

ZB

Moves
28 Oct 09

Is a law of nature fact only because a better explanation of a given event hasn't been found?

F

Moves
28 Oct 09

Is a law of nature fact only because a better explanation of a given event hasn't been found?
A law of nature is absolute regardless if man has found it or not, formulated it as a law or not.

Cape Town

Moves
28 Oct 09

We can call anything we like 'impossible'. Whether or not it is impossible may be unknowable, but I think that in some cases we can be pretty sure. Certainly I am very very sure that there are some things that are impossible and I am equally sure that I know some of them.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
28 Oct 09
4 edits

If you agree that falsifiability, not verifiability, is the demarcation criterion then no logically possible statement is empirically impossible.

So only logically contradictory statements/things can be said to be "impossible".