Why the plane takes off in laymans (my) terms

Why the plane takes off in laymans (my) terms

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I

Moves
03 Nov 06

Originally posted by sugiezd
Of course it moves along the surface, through the interface of its wheels.

OK, the wheels are not powered - ok, they have low friction bearings but they do exist.

How do you measure ground-speed when the plane is on the ground?
If the question had said: "A car is moving into a head wind at the same speed as the oncoming wind", would you have assumed the car was stationary relative to the ground?

s

Moves
03 Nov 06

Originally posted by Ian68
If the question had said: "A car is moving into a head wind at the same speed as the oncoming wind", would you have assumed the car was stationary relative to the ground?
Why would I assume that?

Want to answer my question - how do you determine the ground-speed of a plane on the ground?

I

Moves
03 Nov 06

Why would I assume that?

Want to answer my question - how do you determine the ground-speed of a plane on the ground?
Why would you assume that a plane moving forward at the same speed as the surface its wheels are in contact with is moving backwards is stationary relative to the ground?

As to your question, are you asking for a definition of ground-speed or an explanation of how a pilot would determine it from his instruments?

s

Moves
03 Nov 06

Why would you assume that a plane moving forward at the same speed as the surface its wheels are in contact with is moving backwards is stationary relative to the ground?

As to your question, are you asking for a definition of ground-speed or an explanation of how a pilot would determine it from his instruments?
Instruments wouldn't be too much use here (if based on GPS).

Can you accept that it is the rotational speed of the wheels?

If so, and the indicated GS is the speed of the plane relative to the belt which is itself moving in the opposite direction at the same speed - no net progress.

I

Moves
03 Nov 06
1 edit

Originally posted by flyUnity
A plane is standing on a runway that can move (some sort of treadmill). The plane moves in one direction, while the conveyer moves at the same speed but in the opposite direction. Can the plane take off?"

(copied and pasted from another source)
That is the original question. The question states "The plane moves", planes move through the air regardless of whether the wheels are in contact with the ground or not, therefore the plane is moving relative to a fixed point.

Where has this discussion of ground speed come from, and what is the relevance?

And no, ground speed is not the rotational speed of the wheels.

s

Moves
03 Nov 06

That is the original question. The question states "The plane moves", planes move through the air regardless of whether the wheels are in contact with the ground or not, therefore the plane is moving relative to a fixed point.

Where has this discussion of ground speed come from, and what is the relevance?

And no, ground speed is not the rotational speed of the wheels.
"A plane is standing on a runway that can move (some sort of treadmill). The plane moves in one direction, while the conveyer moves at the same speed but in the opposite direction. Can the plane take off?"

Motion and speed are both mentioned.

When a plane is moving it has both air-speed and ground-speed.

Why is there a problemm with that?

I

Moves
03 Nov 06

"A plane is standing on a runway that can move (some sort of treadmill). The plane moves in one direction, while the conveyer moves at the same speed but in the opposite direction. Can the plane take off?"

Motion and speed are both mentioned.

When a plane is moving it has both air-speed and ground-speed.

Why is there a problemm with that?
There isn't a problem with that, but ground speed is dependent on air speed not the other way around.

RHP Member No.16

Moves
03 Nov 06

If the belt is moving backwards at 5kps and the plane is moving forward at 5kps, and you stopped the belt, would the plane move forward faster, or continue at the same speed?

I

Moves
03 Nov 06

Originally posted by mwmiller
If the belt is moving backwards at 5kps and the plane is moving forward at 5kps, and you stopped the belt, would the plane move forward faster, or continue at the same speed?
The would be an almost immeasurably small increase in speed due to reduced friction.

s

Moves
03 Nov 06

There isn't a problem with that, but ground speed is dependent on air speed not the other way around.
How so?

They do not depend on each other - when flying, a plane can have a high airpeed and a low groundspeed when flying into a headwind and vice versa when flying with a good tailwind.

RHP Member No.16

Moves
03 Nov 06

The would be an almost immeasurably small increase in speed due to reduced friction.
Then basically the plane speed is not being affected by the speed of the belt. The plane will continue to move forward regardless of whether the belt is moving or not. In other words, the speed of the belt and the speed of the plane have no bearing on each other.

I

Moves
03 Nov 06

How so?

They do not depend on each other - when flying, a plane can have a high airpeed and a low groundspeed when flying into a headwind and vice versa when flying with a good tailwind.
You seem to be misunderstanding what I said. The planes ground speed is determined by its air speed in relation to other forces acting on it, but the ground speed does not in any way influence the air speed.

I

Moves
03 Nov 06

Originally posted by mwmiller
Then basically the plane speed is not being affected by the speed of the belt. The plane will continue to move forward regardless of whether the belt is moving or not. In other words, the speed of the belt and the speed of the plane have no bearing on each other.
Correct.

s

Moves
03 Nov 06

You seem to be misunderstanding what I said. The planes ground speed is determined by its air speed in relation to other forces acting on it, but the ground speed does not in any way influence the air speed.
Is there a point or are you dissimulating?

On the ground (not a moving belt), in still air AS and GS are the same.

RHP Member No.16

Moves
03 Nov 06

Correct.
Therefore the plane will fly once it reaches an appropriate air speed. This is not influenced in any way by the belt, or whether it is moving at any particular speed or not.