Two questions involving Pi

Two questions involving Pi

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s

Moves
23 Feb 08

Originally posted by doodinthemood
Proof that Root 2 is irrational:
Suppose, root 2 is rational. Then it could be written in the form A/B where A and B do not share any factors.
Root 2 = A/B
2 = (A/B)^2
2 = A^2/B^2
B^2x2 = A^2

So A^2 is an even number, and A is an even number. It can be written in the form 2C
2 = (2C)^2/B^2
2 = 4C^2/B^2
2B^2 = 4C^2
B^2 = 2C^2

So B^2 is a ...[text shortened]... a number. You cannot have anything of radius infinity or volume infinity or anything like that.
Nice proof.

d

Moves
23 Feb 08

cheers. I take cheques.

Already mated

Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Moves
23 Feb 08

Originally posted by coquette
if you slice a pumpkin in half what do you get?
Answer: (note the title of this thread) PUMPKIN PI

m

Moves
24 Feb 08

[b]Proof that Root 2 is irrational:
Suppose, root 2 is rational. Then it could be written in the form A/B where A and B do not share any factors.
Root 2 = A/B
2 = (A/B)^2
2 = A^2/B^2
B^2x2 = A^2

So A^2 is an even number, and A is an even number. It can be written in the form 2C
2 = (2C)^2/B^2
2 = 4C^2/B^2
2B^2 = 4C^2
B^2 = 2C^2

So B^2 is a ...[text shortened]... umbers, then they share a common factor, of 2. We have a contradiction, and so root 2 is irrational.
I remember having that as an interview question for University. That's pretty much the answer I gave.

A

Moves
24 Feb 08

Originally posted by mtthw
I remember having that as an interview question for University. That's pretty much the answer I gave.
its one of the classic examples of proof by contradiction... i love this proof, and the other one usually seen that there is no largest prime number

d

Moves
24 Feb 08

No largest prime number:
Suppose there is a largest prime number and we have a finite set of them. Then every number is the product of a certain number of primes, or is prime. If we multiply all the primes in that finite set of primes together, we get a number that has every prime as a factor. The next number to have any given prime as a factor would be this number plus whatever amount the prime is. However, as the smallest prime is 2, then adding one to this mass-prime-product will find a number that doesn't have any primes as a factor, so is a prime. This is a contradiction, so there is not a largest prime number.

T
Kupikupopo!

Out of my mind

Moves
25 Feb 08

All numbers (meaning 0, 1, 2, 3, ...) are interesting:

Suppose there are numbers that are not interesting.

Then there is also a smallest uninteresting number.

That makes that number interesting, wich is a contradiction.

Our initial assumption must be wrong, so no uninteresting numbers exist.

p
Iron Pillar

Backside of desert

Moves
25 Feb 08
1 edit

2) Infinity is not a number. You cannot have anything of radius infinity or volume infinity or anything like that.[/b]
Infinity is not a real number. Infinity is a transfinite number.

Given:
a = "first ordinal transfinite number" = "number of integers"
b = "second ordinal transfinite number"
c = "number of reals"
r = "any real number greater than 1"

then:
a+r = a
a-r = a
a*r = a
a/r = a
a^r = a
r^a = b

so with the circle mentioned in the first post :
diameter = a
circumfrence = pi * a = a
area = pi * a^2 = a

d

Moves
25 Feb 08
1 edit

Infinity is not a transfinite number either. The whole point of the words "transfinite" and "infinite" (and indeed "finite" ) is that they are not the same. Infinity can never be the value of anything. As the diameter of a circle tends to infinity, the circumfrence tends to infinity, and the area tends to infinity, but there is no real point in recognising this.

s
Granny

Parts Unknown

Moves
25 Feb 08

What the hell is everyone talking about?

F. GRANNY.

C
Don't Fear Me

Reaping

Moves
02 Mar 08

Originally posted by Swlabr
Question one: Does these exist a real number 'a' such that a*Pi is a rational number? (NOTE: a rational number is a number that can be written in the form a/b, with a and b both integers, incase you were wondering...)

Question two: (my mind wandered onto this whilst contemplating the above question. I'm not too sure of the answer, but I have a hunch...)
T ...[text shortened]... estion without an answer? I feel it is the latter (really stupid...), but I'm not sure.
1. Yes, pi*0 = 0, a rational number.

Already mated

Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Moves
02 Mar 08

Originally posted by smw6869
What the hell is everyone talking about?

F. GRANNY.
pi