Transitive in-ness

Transitive in-ness

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Krackpot Kibitzer

Right behind you...

Moves
21 Nov 05
1 edit

If I have a pain in my foot, and I have my foot in my shoe, why don't I have a pain in my shoe?

M

Moves
21 Nov 05

Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
If I have a pain in my foot, and I have my foot in my shoe, why don't I have a pain in my shoe?
But you have ...

g
walking...

...back

Moves
21 Nov 05

u'r wearing a small size shoe....so there is no room for the pain to be "in" the shoe. Hence, u do not have a pain in your shoe.

Krackpot Kibitzer

Right behind you...

Moves
21 Nov 05

Originally posted by Mephisto2
But you have ...
Suppose the pain is not caused by the shoe (it's oversized). Do I still have a pain in my shoe?

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
21 Nov 05

Either the pain is occurring inside the shoes (in your foot) and you do have transitivity, or it is actually occurring somewhere (maybe your brain) not in your shoe, in which case it is not in your foot either.

Krackpot Kibitzer

Right behind you...

Moves
21 Nov 05

Originally posted by royalchicken
Either the pain is occurring inside the shoes (in your foot) and you do have transitivity, or it is actually occurring somewhere (maybe your brain) not in your shoe, in which case it is not in your foot either.
But, don't you agree that, naively speaking, it makes sense to say "I have a pain in my foot" whereas it sounds weird to say "I have a pain in my shoe", even though one's shoe is in one's foot. Do you really think that latter *doesn't* sound weird?

M

Moves
21 Nov 05

But, don't you agree that, naively speaking, it makes sense to say "I have a pain in my foot" whereas it sounds weird to say "I have a pain in my shoe", even though one's shoe is in one's foot. Do you really think that latter *doesn't* sound weird?
Yes, it sounds weird. Also, I have the feeling that the verb 'have' does not have (lol) quite the same meaning in both cases.

Krackpot Kibitzer

Right behind you...

Moves
21 Nov 05

Did I really say "even though one's shoe is in one's foot"?

I am clearly more confused that I thought.