Time to kill?

Time to kill?

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B
Non-Subscriber

RHP IQ

Moves
15 Apr 05
1 edit

If you're at a loose end one evening and wish to pass some time, set up a chessboard and simply do the following, either alone or with the aid of a friend:

Play just 3 moves into a game (each side). Put the pieces back onto their starting squares again and play another 3 moves into a different game. Repeat until you have made all the possible combinations of moves, reaching all positions.

If you find that doesn't kill sufficient time, try it again using 4 moves...

C

Earth Prime

Moves
15 Apr 05

One move is enough for me

rkr

Moves
15 Apr 05

Originally posted by Bowmann
If you're at a loose end one evening and wish to pass some time, set up a chessboard and simply do the following, either alone or with the aid of a friend:

Play just 3 moves into a game (each side). Put the pieces back onto their starting squares again and play another 3 moves into a different game. Repeat until you have made all the possible combination ...[text shortened]... all positions.

you can do that here. analyze board and move pieces.

J

back in business

Moves
15 Apr 05

Play just 3 moves into a game (each side). Put the pieces back onto their starting squares again and play another 3 moves into a different game. Repeat until you have made all the possible combinations of moves, reaching all positions.

hmm that would take years i guess. i have not so much freetime to kill

Z

Moves
17 Apr 05

Play just 3 moves into a game (each side). Put the pieces back onto their starting squares again and play another 3 moves into a different game. Repeat until you have made all the possible combination ...[text shortened]... all positions.

how about watching tv instead?😴

T

Moves
17 Apr 05
5 edits

According to the the link below, there are
119060324 games ending in exactly 6 plies (about 37 years at 10 secs per position)
and
84998978956 games ending in exactly 8 plies (about 27000years at 10 secs per position).

http://www.albert.nu/programs/dperft/main.htm

And there are 2097651003696806 games ending in exactly 11 plies, taking about 665160770 years at 10 secs per position. (To put it another way, this means that we would only just be finishing if we had started when the light now reaching us from your home planet was leaving it!) 😀

Bowmann, the Man Who Fell to Earth! 😀