The twins paradigm

The twins paradigm

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

f

Moves
11 Jun 06

What bit did you want to be explained? Would be pleased to oblige !

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
20 Jun 06

Originally posted by Suzianne
BOTH twins would age (unless you've figured out how to stop time).

The twin on Earth ages normally, and the twin in space more slowly, *relative* to the one on Earth. The twin in space ages normally, and the twin on Earth more quickly, *relative* to the one in space.

It is the one actually undergoing a change in acceleration that gets the "time dilat ...[text shortened]... actually believes what he spews out, in which case we should all just feel sorry for him).
Well you may be the know it all princess but you are wrong on the count of the one getting the 'change of acceleration' getting the time dilation effect. Its the absolute velocity not the acceleration that generates the dilation, the acceleration just gets you to a certain dilation rate faster. If you accel at one G for one year, roughly, then you will be close to C but most of the accel time you spend at the start can hardly be called relativistic, a few thousand Klicks/second won't do it. You have to be at 99% of C to get an appreciable dilation rate, just plug in the variables to that famous formula (1-V^2/C^2)^0.5 and you see you don't get much dilation under 99%C.

f

Moves
20 Jun 06

Ok, I see your point but the question that has been asked is, the 2nd twin returnes to earth. So would the time dialation just = itself out? I still think that they are the same age. Think about light clocks. Call A the top. B the bottom, If light is const then if you know the distance between A /B, then that is your constant. Yes if things are moving away from you at speed, A stationary observer sees this diff, but the obsrv would see the returnig twin geting older, faster as she gets back to earth.

h

Moves
21 Jun 06

Originally posted by fakill
Ok, I see your point but the question that has been asked is, the 2nd twin returnes to earth. So would the time dialation just = itself out? I still think that they are the same age. Think about light clocks. Call A the top. B the bottom, If light is const then if you know the distance between A /B, then that is your constant. Yes if things are moving away fr ...[text shortened]... diff, but the obsrv would see the returnig twin geting older, faster as she gets back to earth.
No. The time dilation does not = (cancel?) itself out. The twin that journeys to the star at relativistic speeds and then returns, will return physically younger. Time will have passed more slowly for him/her.

Please stop "explaining" this to people - you are only confusing them. If people want a good explanation then go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_paradox. Not too much mathematics and many objections and uncertainties are discussed.

F

Moves
21 Jun 06

This "paradox" is more easy to understand then it is to explain.
In the very moment you understand it, it is crystal clear.
But it is still hard to explain it to someone who not yet understands it.

It is not an paradox at all. Don't call it a paradox.