1. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 Oct '19 21:35
    @handyandy said
    If it corresponds to pi (3.14159...) the digits never end. Hence, a repeat sign is pointless.
    Err....that was sort of the point.
  2. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    02 Oct '19 21:472 edits
    If we extended the piano keyboard to 99 notes, the first two numbers in every 5 digit sequence would give you pitch. The second three would give you the duration in hemi-demi-semi quavers. 999 would imply a duration of 15 crochets.

Would that ensure every basic melody ever written would be played at some time?

If so, couldn’t all harmonies, dynamics, instrumentation etc simply be a process of evolution of the same method?
  3. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    03 Oct '19 00:361 edit
    @rank-outsider said
    If we extended the piano keyboard to 99 notes, the first two numbers in every 5 digit sequence would give you pitch. The second three would give you the duration in hemi-demi-semi quavers. 999 would imply a duration of 15 crochets.

If so, couldn’t all harmonies, dynamics, instrumentation etc simply be a process of evolution of the same method?
    Our endless friend pi is composed of ten different digits, 0 to 9. Consequently, only ten different musical tones are available.

As you know, the chromatic scale contains twelve tones, each a semitone above or below its adjacent tone. That leaves two orphan tones not represented by one of pi's digits.

Some melodies could be played, but not all of them.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    03 Oct '19 04:23
    @handyandy said
    Our endless friend pi is composed of ten different digits, 0 to 9. Consequently, only ten different musical tones are available.

As you know, the chromatic scale contains twelve tones, each a semitone above or below its adjacent tone. That leaves two orphan tones not represented by one of pi's digits.

Some melodies could be played, but not all of them.
    You are assuming that pi is written in decimal.
    Use base 12 and you have your 12 notes.
    Use base 48 and spread across 4 octaves.
    Et cetera, et cetera ....
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    03 Oct '19 04:25
    @rank-outsider said

Surely music is analogue and cannot be exactly reduced to numbers?
  6. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    03 Oct '19 13:16
    @handyandy said
    Maybe I didn't explain myself so well.

If you split up Pi into blocks of more than one digit, you can cover every note on the standard piano.

So, under my suggestion Middle C would be assigned the number, say, 50, C sharp 51, B natural 49 etc. but extending the keyboard a bit longer than standard.

So,

Would become

31415 (for note one)

92653 (for note two)

31 would be the note to be played on the piano, for a duration of 415 hemi-demi-semiquavers (6.5 crochets).

The question is, would this mean that, eventually, every simple melody ever written would be played?
  7. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    03 Oct '19 13:18
    @wolfgang59 said
    Surely music is analogue and cannot be exactly reduced to numbers?
    Not sure I know what you mean. I think my Iphone does a pretty good job of this....
  8. Standard memberAttilaTheHorn
    Erro Ergo Sum
    In the Green Room
    Moves
    03 Oct '19 17:404 edits
    It's a piece for organ by John Cage, likely a response to his 4"33". It's called ASLSP (as slow as possible). A performance of it is taking place right now in Germany, begun in 2001, and it won't be completed for 639 years, until the year 2640.
  9. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    03 Oct '19 19:141 edit
    @rank-outsider said
    Maybe I didn't explain myself so well.

If you split up Pi into blocks of more than one digit, you can cover every note on the standard piano.

So, under my suggestion Middle C would be assigned the number, say, 50, C sharp 51, B natural 49 etc. but extending the keyboard a bit longer than standard.

So,

Would become

31415 (for note one)
    ...[text shortened]... The question is, would this mean that, eventually, every simple melody ever written would be played?
    Your original proviso ["each number is assigned a different note on the piano"] is what lead us down the wrong trail. Instead of "each number" it should be "each group of five digits."

In that case it seems likely that all simple melodies could be played.
  10. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    05 Oct '19 22:08
    @attilathehorn said
    It's a piece for organ by John Cage, likely a response to his 4"33". It's called ASLSP (as slow as possible). A performance of it is taking place right now in Germany, begun in 2001, and it won't be completed for 639 years, until the year 2640.
    At last I caught someone!
    This would have been my answer up until a few weeks ago.
    Until I cam across this:-

Not content with being relegated to the history books, London’s only
    lighthouse is now home to Longplayer, a continuous 1,000 year long
    piece of music. Initially switched on for the millennium celebrations,
    the music will run uninterrupted until midnight on the 31st December 2999.
    There’s a listening room in the lighthouse itself, or you can listen to the live stream

https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryMagazine/DestinationsUK/Londons-Only-Lighthouse/

A 1,000 year long piece of music!
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    05 Oct '19 22:11
    @rank-outsider said
    Not sure I know what you mean. I think my Iphone does a pretty good job of this....
    I'm assuming that there are an infinite number of frequencies between say B and C.
    But I'm not sure that is true, in fact I think it false (Planck length et c.)
  12. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    06 Oct '19 06:072 edits
    @wolfgang59 said
    I'm assuming that there are an infinite number of frequencies between say B and C.
    But I'm not sure that is true, in fact I think it false (Planck length et c.)
    You stipulated the piece could be composed, not just had to be being performed.

I just composed one which is infinitely longer than yours and never repeats.

I may not be entering into the spirit of the question....
  13. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    07 Oct '19 03:37
    @rank-outsider said
    You stipulated the piece could be composed, not just had to be being performed.

I just composed one which is infinitely longer than yours and never repeats.

I may not be entering into the spirit of the question....
    The "spirit of the question" was to have a light-hearted chat about
    something inconsequential which I stumbled across. Your admirable
    contributions are completely in keeping with that. Thank you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree