The Fibonacci Sequence

The Fibonacci Sequence

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In your face

Moves
12 Jul 05

Originally posted by THUDandBLUNDER
If you differentiate e^x wiith respect to x it remains unaffected.
That is, letting y = e^x, dy/dx = e^x
But d(e^x)/dy = dy/dy = 1
e^x has been changed into a constant.
Differentiation, integration and exponentials etc are what put me off mathematics forever. Until then I had a reasonably good concept and feel for the subject. But at this point I stopped being able to build a mental picture of what it was about. I must be a thick c888 or something.
Anyways, I shall tell it to my brother. He has a PhD in Mathematics. That will be the true acid test as to whether it is funny or not. 😛

B
Non-Subscriber

RHP IQ

Moves
12 Jul 05

Originally posted by jimslyp69
Differentiation, integration and exponentials etc are what put me off mathematics forever. Until then I had a reasonably good concept and feel for the subject. But at this point I stopped being able to build a mental picture of what it was about. I must be a thick c888 or something.
Anyways, I shall tell it to my brother. He has a PhD in Mathematics. That will be the true acid test as to whether it is funny or not. 😛
Don't worry. One only really needs algebra anyway. And that can be largely intuitive, if that's the right word.

In your face

Moves
13 Jul 05
1 edit

Originally posted by Bowmann
Don't worry. One only really needs algebra anyway. And that can be largely intuitive, if that's the right word.
Cheers for the words of encouragement but I suppose that all depends on what you want to do with it. Just lucky I don't want to be a programmer really. 😲

B
Non-Subscriber

RHP IQ

Moves
13 Jul 05

Originally posted by jimslyp69
Cheers for the words of encouragement but I suppose that all depends on what you want to do with it. Just lucky I don't want to be a programmer really. 😲
I managed to write programs using O-level maths.

In your face

Moves
13 Jul 05

Originally posted by Bowmann
I managed to write programs using O-level maths.
I got an A in GCSE maths but I wouldn't say i was anywhere near O level standard. My Brother had an O level maths exercise book from 1969, that he acqured from my Grand Ma. He had serious difficulties solving the problems in it whilst he was at A level standard in 1990.

p

Non-Sub Recs: 0

Moves
13 Jul 05

But his original post didn't even contain a question mark.
So he must be kindly telling us that a person called Ever heard of the Fibonacci sequence, right? 😵

Therefore, in order to give this thread a raison d'etre, here is a joke:

e^x is walking down the road one day when he meets several other functions coming the other way. One of them ...[text shortened]... Hi, I'm e^x"

"Hello," replied the differential, grinning broadly, "I'm d/dy"

d/dy could not split e^x.
e^x is a real tough guy.
To d/dy's dismay, all it can do is put e^x under the table---to try to humiliate e^x.
e^x just keeps laughing down there.

y = e^x

d/dx y = d/dx e^x
dy/dx = e^x ------nothing doing.

d/dy y = d/dy e^x
dy/dy = e^x dx/dy
1 = e^x dx/dy
dx/dy = 1 / e^x -----underneath, but still intact.

B
Non-Subscriber

RHP IQ

Moves
13 Jul 05

Originally posted by phgao
e^x is a real tough guy.
To d/dy's dismay, all it can do is put e^x under the table---to try to humiliate e^x.

y = e^x

d/dx y = d/dx e^x

d/dy y = d/dy e^x
dy/dy = e^x dx/dy
1 = e^x dx/dy
Amusing, but it lacks a punchline.

T

Moves
15 Jul 05

Originally posted by phgao
e^x is a real tough guy.

y = e^x

d/dx y = d/dx e^x

d/dy y = d/dy e^x
dy/dy = e^x dx/dy
1 = e^x dx/dy
y = e^x
dy/dx = e^x
dx/dy = e^-x
Fair enough.

But we re not differentiating x wrt y
We are differentiating e^x wrt y
Having done so, we get a constant (1)

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
20 Jul 05

What's the square root of 69?

Eight something...
BTW the full equation for that is:

B4IFQRU/18 = 69^0.5

T

Moves
20 Jul 05
1 edit

Originally posted by sonhouse
BTW the full equation for that is:

B4IFQRU/18 = 69^0.5
18? You are almost normal.
I remember B4Iroot(U)RU/16

I guess we Brits are just more liberal than you homebred Yankees.

o
Paralysed analyst

On a ship of fools

Moves
21 Jul 05

I heard a really funny (to a maths geek) story about little Polly Nomial once, and how she lost her convergency. It's probably rolling around the internet somewhere if I can be bothered...

...ah yes, here's a version. It was funnier when read aloud with lots of meaningful pauses.

http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~susan/joke/polly.htm

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
21 Jul 05

Originally posted by orfeo
I heard a really funny (to a maths geek) story about little Polly Nomial once, and how she lost her convergency. It's probably rolling around the internet somewhere if I can be bothered...

...ah yes, here's a version. It was funnier when read aloud with lots of meaningful pauses.

http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~susan/joke/polly.htm
That's a fcuked up story. It's about a function being raped and getting pregnant, no? And the cautionary at the end is to keep your kids locked up forever. It was probably funnier in the 50's, although I will say the language was cleverly used.