The end is nigh

The end is nigh

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

G

Moves
10 Sep 07

Originally posted by agryson
Well the flaw seems perfectly clear to me. Whatever logic is applied should be able to come up with the same result if applied to earlier or later generations. Both versions of the logic presented come up with pretty much the same answer no matter which generation we apply it to. In the first version of the logic, the second generation of humans were 50% alo ...[text shortened]... inity, there is no useful probability through any means that can give us even a rough estimate.
You're making a good intuitive argument that the argument isn't sound, but I don't think you've put your finger on an actual flaw. We want to base the argument on all the information available to us, which means we want to use the most up-to-date version of the number of humans ever born. Today, it doesn't make sense to apply the argument to past generations, because we know that many humans were born after them, or to future generations, because we do not know if they will even exist. We must base the argument with the "red ball" being the last human ever born (this is what I really mean by "us" or "we"😉.

And also, in your last sentence, are you saying that even after getting the red ball on the eighth trial that you still have no idea, not even a rough estimate, of how many balls are in the machine?

r
Ginger Scum

Paranoia

Moves
10 Sep 07

I think your ball analogy is flawed as you know the number of balls lies between 2 definite values.

The human populations final number is unknown, so the example cannot be directly related.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
11 Sep 07

Originally posted by GregM
since we have no way of knowing where we fall on the line, we might as well imagine ourselves as being located in a random point on it.
Here's your flaw.

G

Moves
20 Sep 07

Originally posted by Palynka
Here's your flaw.
I agree.