Table and coins puzzle

Table and coins puzzle

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

c

Moves
23 Oct 05

Originally posted by PBE6
I think I've got something. You definitely want to go first and place a coin in the centre of the table. On all your subsequent turns, you place your coin opposite your opponent's coin on the same diameter. To be a bit clearer:

Let "O" be the centre of the table (where the first coin was placed)
Let "A" be your opponent's coin
Let "B" be your c ...[text shortened]... lacing your coin in the centre avoids this problem, and ensures you always follow your opponent.
Nothing matters after you put the first coin down deadcenter. Wherever your opponent places his coin after that you can always put your coin in a place mirroring where he put his.. This also mean that the numer of coins you could place in the circle is always an odd number.

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
23 Oct 05

Originally posted by chasparos
Nothing matters after you put the first coin down deadcenter. Wherever your opponent places his coin after that you can always put your coin in a place mirroring where he put his.. This also mean that the numer of coins you could place in the circle is always an odd number.
There are an infinite number of ways to implement the "mirroring" strategy, but I thought it would be clearest if I explained it using a diameter, as that is the closest "mirror" to the mirroring strategy.

It does matter what you do after you place the first coin, because it is conceivable that by proper placement you could eliminate spots for subsequent coins, thereby changing the parity (eveness/oddness) of the number of coins ultimately placed on the table, thereby losing the game when you could have won.

s

Moves
23 Oct 05

and be sure at the end to headbutt the guy and rush off with all of the coins.

Moves
24 Oct 05
1 edit

How about if you are placing your (sticky) coins on the surface of a sphere. Should you go first or second?

V

Moves
24 Oct 05

I think 2nd. Just place coins opposite where the other guy did.
What if the table is an equilateral triangle?

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
24 Oct 05

You guys should work for Parker Brothers.

V

Moves
26 Oct 05

Parker Brothers are?