Speed of Light

Speed of Light

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

t

Moves
26 Jun 07

Lets say you can travel faster than the speed of light. If you travelled a certain distance stopped and turned round. What would you see? Would you see yourself going away from you or coming towards you?

F

Moves
26 Jun 07

Originally posted by torchmoon
Lets say you can travel faster than the speed of light. If you travelled a certain distance stopped and turned round. What would you see? Would you see yourself going away from you or coming towards you?
Any questions involving travelling at the speed of light or faster doesn't have any relevance.

This has the same relevance that this statement: "If the pope travels in the speed of light, he gets pregnant."
If you laugh at this statement, any answers to the original question deserves the same laughters.

It's like dividing by zero - it can't be done. Any results involving division by zero lacks any relevance.

DS
I'm A Mighty Pirateβ„’

PaTROLLING the forum

Moves
26 Jun 07
1 edit

Originally posted by FabianFnas
Any questions involving travelling at the speed of light or faster doesn't have any relevance.

This has the same relevance that this statement: "If the pope travels in the speed of light, he gets pregnant."
If you laugh at this statement, any answers to the original question deserves the same laughters.

It's like dividing by zero - it can't be done. Any results involving division by zero lacks any relevance.
If a Pope falls in the wood and there are no Christians are around to hear it, is there any God?

t

Moves
26 Jun 07

I know that you can't travel at the speed of light but it has been one of those questions that some of my friends talk about. The same as if there is a hell is it endo or exothermic? Both are silly questions but I just wondered.... silly I know! πŸ™‚

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
26 Jun 07

I thought there was no problem traveling faster than the speed of light, just getting to warp speed from the sub-light side was the hard part.

aw
Baby Gauss

Ceres

Moves
26 Jun 07

Originally posted by PBE6
I thought there was no problem traveling faster than the speed of light, just getting to warp speed from the sub-light side was the hard part.
Me too... But hey, live and learn!

F

Moves
26 Jun 07
1 edit

Originally posted by torchmoon
I know that you can't travel at the speed of light but it has been one of those questions that some of my friends talk about. The same as if there is a hell is it endo or exothermic? Both are silly questions but I just wondered.... silly I know! πŸ™‚
Alright, I see. 😡 We're hyptizing about the impossible. What answer would you like to have? Any answer is good as the other, including a pregnant pope.

aw
Baby Gauss

Ceres

Moves
26 Jun 07
2 edits

Alright, I see. 😡 We're hyptizing about the impossible. What answer would you like to have? Any answer is good as the other, including a pregnant pope.
Ever heard of tachyons? Superluminal motion isn't prohibited in general reltivity. Only bodies that start with v

k

Sigulda, Latvia

Moves
26 Jun 07

Nothing can accelerate to the speed of light. Einstein proved that. However, he never said anything about entities already traveling at the speed of light or faster, the previously mentioned tachyon speed or decelerating from the speed of light.

F

Moves
26 Jun 07

Originally posted by adam warlock
Ever heard of tachyons? Superluminal motion isn't prohibited in general reltivity. Only bodies that start with v
Tachyon has a mass with a complex property. A car is of normal mass.

There is no prohibition by any Law of Nature to go faster than light, only to have the light velocity itself if you have mass, that cars do.

Build a car made out of tachyons, and it can only be built in superluminal velocities by workers with a comlex type of mass.

There...

aw
Baby Gauss

Ceres

Moves
26 Jun 07
1 edit

Tachyon has a mass with a complex property. A car is of normal mass.

There is no prohibition by any Law of Nature to go faster than light, only to have the light velocity itself if you have mass, that cars do.

Build a car made out of tachyons, and it can only be built in superluminal velocities by workers with a comlex type of mass.

There...
You could just answer the question the guy posted in the frame of reference of a tachyon then.

P
Bananarama

False berry

Moves
26 Jun 07

Me too... But hey, live and learn!
Seems learning is an ongoing process πŸ˜‰

a
AGW Hitman

http://xkcd.com/386/

Moves
26 Jun 07

Well, technically, even an object of normal mass, if by some means gets from one point in space to another faster than a photon could, it's travelled faster than the speed of light. there's many theoretical methods of doing this, so for the sake of argument, if we did it by a wormhole, or say warping spacetime (the local mass stays stationary, but the space around it moves, the mass 'surfs' on this... the list goes on)
As I said, for the sake of arguement, if one of these potential methods bears fruit and I hopped in my spaceship and did it, what you are seeing is not the spaceship, but the photons that were reflected off it. The image would appear compressed along the axis of travel.

Interesting analogy, consider a very long scissors. look at the point where the two blades meet. If you close the scissors with sufficient speed (below lightspeed) this point where the blades meet can travel faster than the speed of light. I think it's actually been done. Of course no mass is going faster than the speed of light, but it's things like this that gives hope to 'getting around' the Universal speed limit for us ordinary lumps of mass.

t

Moves
26 Jun 07

You could just answer the question the guy posted in the frame of reference of a tachyon then.
I'm female not a guy (sounds of groans and oh that explains it heard), and kind of wish i never asked. I'm not big on physics as you all now know! I don't understand a word of what you all have said. It was supposed to be a fun question based on pub talk with my mates, sorry guys 😳

a
AGW Hitman

http://xkcd.com/386/

Moves
26 Jun 07

Oh, in that case, the answer is that you look like a pancake flying through space. But at least you now know how to make space pancakes, right?