Q+

Q+

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

J

back in business

Moves
15 Apr 05

yesterday í noticed something:

lets imagine following scenario: white checks black king with his queen so that no black piece can capture that queen. after black moves, can white somehow check black again? Is it possible in every legal situation and position?

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
15 Apr 05

I think that if the queen captured a piece, there's the possibiliy of pinning itself so that it can't move to the square where the king was.

J

back in business

Moves
15 Apr 05

Originally posted by Palynka
I think that if the queen captured a piece, there's the possibiliy of pinning itself so that it can't move to the square where the king was.

lets imagine following scenario: white checks black king with his queen (without capturing any enemy piece) so that no black piece can capture that queen. after black moves, can white somehow check black again? Is it possible in every legal situation and position?

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
15 Apr 05
1 edit

No, the queen could check and block check at the same time.

White king checked, queen blocks check and checks black king with the same move. Black king moves, but the queen is pinned.

Edit: Sorry, just realized you wrote that no black piece is able to capture the queen (therefore no blocking is possible).

BUT, when the black king moves it can be discovered check. 🙂

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
15 Apr 05

Actually, I was wrong. If it's discovered check than the queen can block and check. Maybe I should shut up and leave this for the pros. 😛

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
15 Apr 05

Originally posted by Jusuh

lets imagine following scenario: white checks black king with his queen (without capturing any enemy piece) so that no black piece can capture that queen. after black moves, can white somehow check black again? Is it possible in every legal situation and position?
It is not always possible.

White has just played Qa3+. If Black responds with ...Ra6+, he prevents the white Queen from checking a 2nd time.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
15 Apr 05

Originally posted by Palynka
Actually, I was wrong. If it's discovered check than the queen can block and check. Maybe I should shut up and leave this for the pros. 😛
You were not wrong.

White has just played Qe3-b3+. If Black answers with ...Kc7+, the white Queen can't move to resolve the check and check black again.

J

back in business

Moves
15 Apr 05

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
You were not wrong.

[fen]b7/1k6/8/8/8/rQ3K2/8/8 w[/fen]

White has just played Qe3-b3+. If Black answers with ...Kc7+, the white Queen can't move to resolve the check and check black again.
note that original question included "no piece can capture that queen".

anyway first diagram is good.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
15 Apr 05

Originally posted by Jusuh
note that original question included "no piece can capture that queen".

anyway first diagram is good.
You're right; for some reason I forgot that part of the stip on the 2nd position. However, it's not hard to fix:

Last move: Qf5-e5+. Any legal black King move can't be answered by a wQ check.

S

Dublin

Moves
21 Apr 05

You're right; for some reason I forgot that part of the stip on the 2nd position. However, it's not hard to fix:

[fen]3b4/4k3/8/2r1Q1K1/8/B7/8/8 w[/fen]
You can just move the queen to d5 or f5, depending on where the king goes, with check, can't you?

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
21 Apr 05

No, because the bishop is checking the king...

Moves
23 Apr 05

[fen]3b4/4k3/8/2r1Q1K1/8/B7/8/8 w[/fen]
Are the black rook and white bishop actually required for that to be the case?

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
23 Apr 05
1 edit

Originally posted by iamatiger
Are the black rook and white bishop actually required for that to be the case?
Yes. The white Queen must be pinned to prevent her from blocking and counter-checking, and one of the stipulated conditions was that no black piece can capture the white Queen.