possible moves

possible moves

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brooklyn

Moves
08 Dec 16

Has any one ever tried to figure out the exact possible amount of moves for a chess game following the 50 rule?

I heard there are 3 billion possible board set ups at move four.

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
09 Dec 16

Originally posted by yelrambob
Has any one ever tried to figure out the exact possible amount of moves for a chess game following the 50 rule?

The number of available moves will change after each move depending on variables like number of pieces on the board,number of unoccupied squares and legal moves possible so I don't see how it's possible to work out the exact number of moves available in an entire game as each game will be different.
On a similar note I read somewhere that the number of moves in the board game "Go" was greater than the number of atoms in the universe, so you're probably talking 10^3 billion!!

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
12 Dec 16

Ask Claude!

G

santa cruz, ca.

Moves
21 Jan 17

Originally posted by venda
The number of available moves will change after each move depending on variables like number of pieces on the board,number of unoccupied squares and legal moves possible so I don't see how it's possible to work out the exact number of moves available in an entire game as each game will be different.
On a similar note I read somewhere that the number of moves ...[text shortened]... was greater than the number of atoms in the universe, so you're probably talking 10^3 billion!!
google has a very interesting study on the number of possible moves in chess and go and number of atoms in the universe
I could explain it in a few sentences
but you would not understand

st johnstone

Moves
22 Jan 17

there is only two moves
a good move and a bad move

Infidel

Moves
26 Jan 17

Numberphile video on this subject:

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
27 Jan 17

Interesting.Especially when he talks about "sensible" games

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
06 Mar 17

There is about one move. Kinda complicated though.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
06 Mar 17

Originally posted by lemondrop
google has a very interesting study on the number of possible moves in chess and go and number of atoms in the universe
I could explain it in a few sentences
but you would not understand
A bit presumptuous for a 1200 player don't you think? The guy did say he was trying to improve his game.