numbers paradox

numbers paradox

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

d

Moves
09 May 05

Originally posted by Bowmann
Oh that's easy. (3^.5)i.
what about -(3^.5)i?

DDG

Moves
09 May 05

...still don't get where the .5 is coming from

DDG

Moves
09 May 05

Originally posted by orfeo
What's wrong with defining backwards as negative? Ever looked at a measuring line with zero in the middle? All the positive numbers are on one side, and the negative numbers are on the other. Direction is important.

Honestly, this whole 'paradox' depends on your methods of definition.
true... but then can you go at a speed of -20 mph? -80km/h?

o
Paralysed analyst

On a ship of fools

Moves
09 May 05

Originally posted by Duck Duck Goose
true... but then can you go at a speed of -20 mph? -80km/h?
YES.

I did maths problems like that in HIGH SCHOOL.

If north is positive, then -20mph means doing 20mph in a southerly direction.

d

Moves
09 May 05

Not sure what you mean....

The .5 comes in because (3^.5)^2 = 3, and we were looking for roots that satisfy x^2 = -3.

o
Paralysed analyst

On a ship of fools

Moves
10 May 05
1 edit

^.5 is a way of writing square root when you can't use a square root symbol. It's "to the power of 1/2".

Does that help?

DDG

Moves
10 May 05

yea.

..but going 20 mph south facing north isn't -20 mph... you're still going 20 mph, you're just facing the other way. Try walking backwards. You're going at a positive speed, just facing the opposite way

o
Paralysed analyst

On a ship of fools

Moves
10 May 05

yea.

..but going 20 mph south facing north isn't -20 mph... you're still going 20 mph, you're just facing the other way. Try walking backwards. You're going at a positive speed, just facing the opposite way
This is the difference between SPEED and VELOCITY. Properly defined, speed has no direction and can only be positive. Velocity, properly defined, is speed IN A DIRECTION.

So yes, there is no such thing as negative speed. But there is such a thing as negative velocity.

...what has this got to do with your original question, anyway?

DDG

Moves
10 May 05

dunno... it started with 3 times n = -3... which turned into negative ideas, then negative speeds, i guess 😛

o
Paralysed analyst

On a ship of fools

Moves
10 May 05

dunno... it started with 3 times n = -3... which turned into negative ideas, then negative speeds, i guess 😛
A-HA!

If you post it THAT way, isn't it obvious the answer is -1?

DDG

Moves
10 May 05
1 edit

umm... no? that brings back the original question: how can you go into something (such as -3) -1 times? you either go into it (1 or more times) or you don't (0 times)

this is a random thought, but also, imagine getting into a car. You can't go into the car -1 times, can you?

B
Non-Subscriber

RHP IQ

Moves
10 May 05
1 edit

umm... no? that brings back the original question: how can you go into something (such as -3) -1 times? you either go into it (1 or more times) or you don't (0 times)

this is a random thought, but also, imagine getting into a car. You can't go into the car -1 times, can you?
-3 goes into -3 once.

If 3 went into -3 once, you'd have to say that 3 and -3 are the same value. And in that case, if you had 3 apples and I took away 6, you'd still have 3 apples!

And yes, you can get into a car -1 times. By getting out...

DDG

Moves
10 May 05

Originally posted by Bowmann
-3 goes into -3 once.

If 3 went into -3 once, you'd have to say that 3 and -3 are the same value. And in that case, if you had 3 apples and I took away 6, you'd still have 3 apples!

And yes, you can get into a car -1 times. By getting out...
IF... 3 goes into -3 once. HOWEVER... 3 doesn't go into -3 once. It goes into it negative times. -3 degrees C is colder than 3 degrees, if that relates at all

o
Paralysed analyst

On a ship of fools

Moves
11 May 05

You represented it just then as MULTIPLICATION question : n times 3 = -3. It's pretty darn obvious n=-1.

As I said before, the only reason there is a 'paradox' is because you are framing the question by physical examples. Mathematically there's no difficulty at all.

o
Paralysed analyst

On a ship of fools

Moves
11 May 05

IF... 3 goes into -3 once. HOWEVER... 3 doesn't go into -3 once. It goes into it negative times. -3 degrees C is colder than 3 degrees, if that relates at all
No, not really...