Math problem

Math problem

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D

Moves
03 Jun 08

I don't have a solution...

Is there a set of points S in the plane, such that every straight line in the plane contains exactly 2 points of S?

m

Moves
03 Jun 08

Originally posted by David113

Is there a set of points S in the plane, such that every straight line in the plane contains exactly 2 points of S?
My first instinct is to say no. I think I can prove that no continuous curve works, and clearly no bounded set works. But there could be some bizarre collection of discrete points that does the job - I can't see how to disprove that quite yet.

F

Moves
03 Jun 08
1 edit

What about the points that define a circle with a radius of infinity?
Then every line should intersect this circle in exactly two points, at the polar coordinates r1=r2=inf, and phi1=f and phi2=f+pi.
Is this the answer?

f
Defend the Universe

Moves
03 Jun 08

Originally posted by David113

The closest thing that exists would probably be the Euclidean axes, which would work for all lines except y=0 and x=0

T

Moves
03 Jun 08

Originally posted by forkedknight
The closest thing that exists would probably be the Euclidean axes, which would work for all lines except y=0 and x=0
And all lines through the origin if that does not count as 2. Me thinks.

J

In Christ

Moves
03 Jun 08

That's the first thing that came to mind. It would have to be infinite, since if it were a finite number of points, one could easily draw a horizontal line far above the last point. I'm pretty sure that's the solution.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
03 Jun 08

Originally posted by Jirakon

That's the first thing that came to mind. It would have to be infinite, since if it were a finite number of points, one could easily draw a horizontal line far above the last point. I'm pretty sure that's the solution.
A circumference is the immediate intuitive answer, but I fail to see what sense it makes to consider these intersections at infinity.

Give me a functional form taking the limit of r to infinity and I'll give you an epsilon that proves that there is at least a line that doesn't intersect on two points.

m

Moves
03 Jun 08

Care to mention one of the points in that set then?

m

Moves
03 Jun 08

Originally posted by Tera
And all lines through the origin if that does not count as 2. Me thinks.
And all lines parallel to either the x- or y- axis.

D

Moves
03 Jun 08

Originally posted by FabianFnas
Then every line should intersect this circle in exactly two points, at the polar coordinates r1=r2=inf, and phi1=f and phi2=f+pi.
Is this the answer?
A point is an ordered pair of two REAL numbers. No infinity.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
03 Jun 08
3 edits

Originally posted by mtthw
My first instinct is to say no. I think I can prove that no continuous curve works, and clearly no bounded set works. But there could be some bizarre collection of discrete points that does the job - I can't see how to disprove that quite yet.
I don't think it can be discrete points. Imagine if you have a set of discrete points and pick a line that intersects only two points. If you pick one of those points as center and keep rotating that line infinitesimally, then I don't see how it's possible to cover all possibilities with any mesh of discrete points.

Edit - So I'd say no, there is no such set S.

Edit 2 - Which probably means I'm wrong and missing an ingenious answer.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
03 Jun 08

I agree there is no such set.
and I can kinda explain

but a rigorous proof is alluding me.🙄

p
Iron Pillar

Backside of desert

Moves
03 Jun 08

Originally posted by Palynka
A circumference is the immediate intuitive answer, but I fail to see what sense it makes to consider these intersections at infinity.

if you do include any trans finite numbers in the plane; then ithink that you need to include all trans finite numvbers.

another quwstion is: can you define a plane, and lines on that plane, so that set s exists.

J

In Christ

Moves
03 Jun 08

A point is an ordered pair of two REAL numbers. No infinity.

If that's the case, then there is no solution:

Suppose such a set exists in which all points have finite coordinates. Take the point(s) with the highest y-value (y_max). Now imagine the line y = y_max + 1. This line does not intersect any of the points. Therefore no such set exists.

F

Moves
03 Jun 08

Well, it was a wild guess, the closest I can get to an answer.

Is it possible to construct a plane where inf really is included? As you can with R, i.e. R* ?