Mate in 1

Mate in 1

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
23 Sep 05

Originally posted by powershaker
Duhhhh Ng6+++ for White. Qxc6+++ for Black!
Only one of those moves is legal. Which one?

M

Moves
23 Sep 05

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
Only one of those moves is legal. Which one?
I am not done with the puzzle yet, but it has to be Qxc6#. Black is on the move, otherwise the position would be illegal. White's last moves were 1.a6-a7 2.a7-a8R 3.Ra3 4.Rf3 (or another rank 3 move) 5.Rf1 6.Rh1
Black has exactly 5 moves during that episode (which excludes that he would have made the last move) with the h-pawn (4 captures and one advance move) to arrive at d2. No other moves available before the white pawn is on a6. Before that, black captured on b6 with the a-pawn.

It still takes some work to find out how this position arrived, especially how whitte's king arrived there without going into check. White didn't capture anything, so the c-pawn just stepped forward. I suspect the black c-pawn went via d6 (capturing the bishop?) to c5 (capturing a rook). The maneuvre with the black rook (and the white one on the c-file) is still not clear.

Comments anyone?

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
23 Sep 05
1 edit

Originally posted by Mephisto2
I am not done with the puzzle yet, but it has to be Qxc6#. Black is on the move, otherwise the position would be illegal. White's last moves were 1.a6-a7 2.a7-a8R 3.Ra3 4.Rf3 (or another rank 3 move) 5.Rf1 6.Rh1
Black has exactly 5 moves during that episode (which excludes that he would have made the last move) with the h-pawn (4 captures and one advance ...[text shortened]... re with the black rook (and the white one on the c-file) is still not clear.

Comments anyone?
I believe that starting at the diagram and retracting moves one by one is the best way to solve these. It takes a little time to get used to it, but it avoids the trial-and-error element of trying to create a past position and play forward to the diagram. I will use retro notation (a '-' sign in front of the move numbers to show retractions.

If we follow Mephisto2's line in this manner, we get:
-1.Rf1-h1 e3xPd2 (when a piece is uncaptured, the type of piece must be listed)
-2.Rf3-f1 e4-e3
-3.Ra3-f3 f5xPe4
-4.Ra8-a3 g6xPf5
-5.a7-a8R h7xPg6
-6.a6-a7 a7xBb6
-7.Ba5-b6 b6xRc5
-8.Rc3-c5

...and we have a problem. Black is completely stuck and can't retract any moves! This is known as retro-stalemate. A position in this state is obviously illegal. Too bad...if white only had one more move, he could withdraw the Rook on c6 and give Black some breathing room.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
24 Sep 05

Originally posted by Heavyhitter19
Impossible for checkmate in 1 move, regardless of who moves...if not show us...
White to move: Knight to G6#. Black to move, QXR#

M

Moves
24 Sep 05

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
I believe that starting at the diagram and retracting moves one by one is the best way to solve these. It takes a little time to get used to it, but it avoids the trial-and-error element of trying to create a past position and play forward to the diagram. I will use retro notation (a '-' sign in front of the move numbers to show retractions.

If w ...[text shortened]... ite only had one more move, he could withdraw the Rook on c6 and give Black some breathing room.
The rook on h1 needed 4 moves to get there from a8. If instead, white's pawn promoted to a queen, the queen could get back to d1 in 3 moves. The original queen must have played the role of the original rook and had to be captured by a pawn. How about:

-1.Qc1-d1 e3xPd2
-2.Qa3-c1 e4-e3
-3.Qa8-a3 f5xPe4
-4.a7-a8Q g6xPf5
-5.a6-a7 a7xBb6
-6.Ba5-b6 b6xQc5
-7.Qc3-c5 h7xPg6
-8.Rc4-c6 Rc6-d6+
-9.Kc4-c5

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
24 Sep 05

Originally posted by Mephisto2
The rook on h1 needed 4 moves to get there from a8. If instead, white's pawn promoted to a queen, the queen could get back to d1 in 3 moves. The original queen must have played the role of the original rook and had to be captured by a pawn. How about:

-1.Qc1-d1 e3xPd2
-2.Qa3-c1 e4-e3
-3.Qa8-a3 f5xPe4
-4.a7-a8Q g6xPf5
-5.a6-a7 a7xBb6
-6.Ba5-b6 b6xQc5
-7.Qc3-c5 h7xPg6
-8.Rc4-c6 Rc6-d6+
-9.Kc4-c5
Right. Unpromoting the white Queen saves a move on the other line. This is the retraction sequence that proves that Black must have the move in the diagram. Good work!