Little Teaser.

Little Teaser.

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B
Non-Subscriber

RHP IQ

Moves
10 Feb 06

Originally posted by TRAINS44
can he?
Guess.

Moves
10 Feb 06
1 edit

Yes SJ247,......NEVER! No matter what Bowmann says! He cant weasel outta this one, no he cant,
can he?
Nope, you can split something in half infinitely...will never reach 0.

B
Non-Subscriber

RHP IQ

Moves
10 Feb 06

Originally posted by SJ247
...will never reach 0.
Oh yes it will.

T
Full speed locomotiv

On tracks.

Moves
10 Feb 06

Originally posted by Bowmann
Oh yes it will.
Prove me wrong Dr. Bowmann.

Moves
10 Feb 06

Prove me wrong Dr. Bowmann.
He won't. He can't. I'm POSITIVE.

T
Full speed locomotiv

On tracks.

Moves
10 Feb 06

He won't. He can't. I'm POSITIVE.
Well Bowmann..there you have it. 😏

B

Moves
10 Feb 06
1 edit

Originally posted by jheikes
Taking a different view, assume the bottomless pit is a hole clean through the earth (why not? it's bottomless!), then you can lower the string indefinitely -- the force on the string never approaches infinity, in fact it is at its greatest and is finite at the surface of the earth -- the string just sorta balls up at the center of the earth.
This would also solve the weight issue as the string would burst into flame as it got colser to the center of the earth. Then you would have to lower the string at a rate faster than the fire moving up it!

B

Moves
10 Feb 06

Got aquestion here for all you Einsteins out there. From point A to point B, starting from point A 50ft from point B,..you can only move in halves to point B,.examp..From A, move 25 ft, next move 12 and a half feet, then 6 ft closer to point B etc. Exactly at that rate, will you ever get to point B?
In Bowmann's defence.
Depends on the Definition of "move", "get there" and last but most importantly how measurement is done. IF, measurement is done at the position of chest or feet from point "B" there is roughly 2 1/2 foot swing position (the reach of the arm). Then the position can be reached.

Staying with the Original intent of the question. Yes you can reach point B, It would just take an eternity. The distance at an infinate time of travel would eventually become .0_1, which would become mathematically identical to 0. Similarly to 1/3 = .3_ x 3 = .9_.

Moves
10 Feb 06

[Staying with the Original intent of the question. Yes you can reach point B, It would just take an eternity.
Now that's a contradiction isn't it?
Define eternity. When do you reach eternity?

B

Moves
10 Feb 06
2 edits

Eternity
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For other senses of the word "eternity" than the topic of this article, see eternity (disambiguation).

While in the popular mind, eternity often simply means existing for an infinite, i.e., limitless, amount of time, many have used it to refer to a timeless existence altogether outside of time. There are a number of arguments for eternity, by which proponents of the concept, principally, Aristotle, purported to prove that matter, motion, and time must have existed eternally.

I will reach eternity when I die! But I digress, that is an entirely different forum!

(EDIT) Although I could argue that I am already there
πŸ˜‰

Moves
10 Feb 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Bishopcrw
Eternity
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For other senses of the word "eternity" than the topic of this article, see eternity (disambiguation).

While in the popular mind, eternity often simply means existing for an infinite, i.e., limitless, amount of time, many have used it to refer to a timeless existence altogether outside of time. There a ...[text shortened]... t is an entirely different forum!

(EDIT) Although I could argue that I am already there
πŸ˜‰
Yes, in the spiritual sense I suppose you can "reach eternity", but with regard to halving a value repeatedly, you have not convinced me.

Now for the sake of sanity some mathematicians may have simplified things by rounding down, but that does not make it truly zero. How is 0.0_1 = 0.0, it isn't. It continues on and on and on and on.

Moves
10 Feb 06

PS: I am completely unqualified to make any mathematical claims whatsoever. But I do happen to know what infinity is, and eternity, and forever, and I know nothing will equal zero if halved over and over.

B

Moves
10 Feb 06
2 edits

Mathematically, And those who are closer to it are more than welcome to correct me. I believe it is called effective numbering.
As I stated above it is not just a scientific rounding but mathematical fact.

3 x 1/3 = 1 obviously and 1/3= .333... abv. by .3_
accordingly .3_ x 3 = .9_
Since they are identical formulas they must have the same result.

I will conceed one fact. I did some rounding to get the .0_1 when in fact it would more than likely be .0_125...

Any way I thought it would a challenge to carry on Bowmann's sarcastic response. I am still looking for that and the "any" key on my keyboard. Kudos to SJ for busting me on it. Maybe when I become a member one of these days you will grace me with a gameπŸ™‚

Edit -Sp

T
Full speed locomotiv

On tracks.

Moves
10 Feb 06

BEAUTIFUL SJ247 BEAUTIFUL!!!! Cannot worm his way out of that!!😏

T
Full speed locomotiv

On tracks.

Moves
10 Feb 06

PS: I am completely unqualified to make any mathematical claims whatsoever. But I do happen to know what infinity is, and eternity, and forever, and I know nothing will equal zero if halved over and over.
Oh man! Sj247 lace it in to them!!! Right again!!