Light

Light

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
07 Apr 12

Can light be bent by magnetic fields?

Moves
08 Apr 12

Originally posted by joe shmo
Can light be bent by magnetic fields?
Not AFAIK. Photons have no electric charge, so I don't think there is any way for a magnetic field to affect them. Gravitational fields, of course, do.

Richard

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
09 Apr 12

Originally posted by Shallow Blue
Not AFAIK. Photons have no electric charge, so I don't think there is any way for a magnetic field to affect them. Gravitational fields, of course, do.

Richard
meaning your not 100% sure?

Moves
11 Apr 12

Originally posted by joe shmo
meaning your not 100% sure?
Who knows? It's Quantum. As far as I now know, I can't see any way for it to happen, but weird things happen often in this field.

Richard

t

Moves
31 May 12

Are parallel rays of light parallel to infinite distances? (do photons attract each other because they each have gravity)

t

Moves
31 May 12
2 edits

Also if you could design a huge long molecule (a polymer?) with charged areas on it which exactly matched the positive and negative oscillations of the photon's electric field what would happen if the photon passed close by?

Art, not a Toil

60.13N / 25.01E

Moves
01 Jun 12

The Faraday effect seems a bit related.. the direction in which light is polarized can be affected with a magnetic field. This doesn't change the direction of the beam of light though.

Physics forum discussions would seem to suggest that there is gravitational interaction between photons, and this has been used in modeling the timeline of when there was heaps of radiation.. that is, the first 50k years after the Big Bang.