Let's be having you

Let's be having you

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V

Moves
21 Jul 05

V

Moves
21 Jul 05
1 edit

Genius that I am at posting threads, I'll try to carry on where I left off with my totally brilliant Thread title.

OK, I'm just trying to practise those FEN things, to get the hang of it like. But rather than just post a diagram, I may as well include some kind of puzzle. Now this one's a bit of a classic, so you may have seen it before. And it's not too hard, but that's not to say it's a gimme.

White is to play and win. Clearly, he/she's material ahead, but the pieces aren't well placed. And Black's doing their best to promote a pawn, which is proving a bit of a headache. Righto, see what you can do, 😉

V

Moves
21 Jul 05

Nope, that's totally and hopelessly wrong. Standby while I try again, lol

V

Moves
21 Jul 05

Excellent! I have corrected myself, and now this post, and the one immediately above it are entirely redundant. Glad you followed all that. So enough chatter, time for solutions. Go!!

J

back in business

Moves
21 Jul 05
1 edit

Originally posted by Vandalizer
Genius that I am at posting threads, I'll try to carry on where I left off with my totally brilliant Thread title.

OK, I'm just trying to practise those FEN things, to get the hang of it like. But rather than just post a diagram, I ...[text shortened]... see what you can do, 😉[fen]4B3/8/6N1/5p2/1r4p1/6pk/7b/4K2Q[/fen]
piece of cactus. Nf4+ Rxf4 Bc6 and long diagonal is guarded and check at g2 is deadliest deadly

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
21 Jul 05

Originally posted by Jusuh
piece of cactus. Nf4+ Rxf4 Bc6 and long diagonal is guarded and check at g2 is deadliest deadly
1. Nf4+?? Rxf4 2. Bc6 Rf2 and black is winning.

Try 1. Bc6! instead.

i

Moves
21 Jul 05

One of the first studies by Troitzky 🙂 A real classic indeed.

V

Moves
22 Jul 05

That's the one!

I've always loved his work. Shame about the ice pick in the head and all that. Still, he composed that one in about 1897 or something, so he must've been getting on. Blimey, with him around the Tzar should've seen it coming! All that Tzar Matt, or king is dead, or whatever. A total obsession.

Er, unless I'm confusing him with somebody else, 😛.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
22 Jul 05

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
1. Nf4+?? Rxf4 2. Bc6 Rf2 and black is winning.

Try 1. Bc6! instead.
Bc6? what about that little checky thing with the rook, Rook checks,
takes queen? bxr pawn in bxp kxb? It looks like a rout that way.

V

Moves
22 Jul 05

You'd think so, wouldn't ya.

Though I'm not sure that Xanthos intended to recapture the rook, 😉.

i

Moves
22 Jul 05
1 edit

Originally posted by Vandalizer
That's the one!

I've always loved his work. Shame about the ice pick in the head and all that. Still, he composed that one in about 1897 or something, so he must've been getting on. Blimey, with him around the Tzar should've seen ...[text shortened]... bsession.

Er, unless I'm confusing him with somebody else, 😛.
Well I believe the one you a refering to is Leon Trotsky a famous communist activist, who, as far as I know, had no relation to chess. The composer's name is Alexey Troitzky. I doubt there is any connection between the two apart from the resemblance in the names.

Buenos Aires

Moves
22 Jul 05

what about
1.Qf1+ g2
2.Qd3+ Bg3 (...g3 3.Qxf5++)
3.Qe3 and white wins

i

Moves
22 Jul 05

Originally posted by MetalPig
what about
1.Qf1+ g2
2.Qd3+ Bg3 (...g3 3.Qxf5++)
3.Qe3 and white wins
and what about 3...Re4! in this variation?

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
22 Jul 05

Originally posted by ilywrin
Well I believe the one you a refering to is Leon Trotsky a famous communist activist, who, as far as I know, had no relation to chess. The composer's name is Alexey Troitzky. I doubt there is any connection between the two apart from the resemblance in the names.
Perhaps the smiley at the end of his post meant something...

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
22 Jul 05

Originally posted by sonhouse
Bc6? what about that little checky thing with the rook, Rook checks,
takes queen? bxr pawn in bxp kxb? It looks like a rout that way.
This is what notation is for. Try giving my the moves you believe allow white to win. I can't make any sense of what you have there.