King & Cross-problem

King & Cross-problem

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

z

Norway

Moves
27 Apr 03

This problem was made by a person named Alex Lee in 1996. I do not know the answer myself, but hopefully, some of you will contribute with an useful suggestion.

OK, here's the problem called the King & Cross-problem:

1. There is a room shaped like a cross.
2. In the east end there is a well, with a bucket to draw water.
3. In the west end there is a wall of glass, behind which is a wall of water.
4. In the south end there is a wall of fire.
5. In the north end there is a king on a throne. The king can do anything.
6. You are in the middle of the room. You have a paper bag and a banana.
How do you get out?

I don't know if getting past the walls of glass, water and fire would lead to an exit. And I don't know what the king has got to do with it, or what's meant by `can do anything'. 🙂

U

Steelers Country

Moves
27 Apr 03

Originally posted by zamba
This problem was made by a person named Alex Lee in 1996. I do not know the answer myself, but hopefully, some of you will contribute with an useful suggestion.

OK, here's the problem called the King & Cross-problem:

1. There is a room shaped like a cross.
2. In the east end there is a well, with a bucket to draw water.
3. In the west end there is a ...[text shortened]... nd I don't know what the king has got to do with it, or what's meant by `can do anything'. 🙂
Brake the glass wall with the bucket and the water will rush in and put the fire out and you can get out...😀

or because the king can do anything tell him to put the fire out😉

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
27 Apr 03

You are the king. Being able to do anything, you are able to appear both in the middle of the room and on the northern throne. You may leave however you wish.

z

Norway

Moves
27 Apr 03

UncleAdam: We wouldn't know if putting out the fire wields an exit or not.

bbarr: Your suggestion is indeed interesting. The problem was introduced to me by an American, so I'll have to wait a bit more before he's back online. I will, however, let you know what his reply to that suggestion is.

In the meantime, just come with some more suggestions. 🙂

H

Noway

Moves
27 Apr 03

Hmmm... give the banana to the king and ask him to turn the paper bag into a teleportation machine in return. Use the machine to get out.

g
Wayward Soul

Your Blackened Sky

Moves
27 Apr 03

get the king to "magic" you out, as he can do anything?

z

Norway

Moves
27 Apr 03

Originally posted by genius
get the king to "magic" you out, as he can do anything?
You can't be sure the king wants to help you.

z

Norway

Moves
27 Apr 03

This is a new suggestion, that's rather original: (Not made by me, though.)

The king can do anything. Thus, the king can make a rock he can't lift. But this contradicts the fact that the king can do anything. Thus, this axiomatic system is inconsistent, so you can get out any way you like.

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
27 Apr 03

Originally posted by zamba
This is a new suggestion, that's rather original: (Not made by me, though.)

The king can do anything. Thus, the king can make a rock he can't lift. But this contradicts the fact that the king can do anything. Thus, this axiomatic system is inconsistent, so you can get out any way you like.
The suggestion is that since the statement 'the King can do anything' implies a contradiction, and since one can derive any proposition at all from a logical contradiction, one can derive the proposition 'I leave any way I want'. Similarly, however, I can derive 'You are absolutely unable to leave'. Which of us is right?

z

Norway

Moves
27 Apr 03

Originally posted by bbarr
The suggestion is that since the statement 'the King can do anything' implies a contradiction, and since one can derive any proposition at all from a logical contradiction, one can derive the proposition 'I leave any way I want'. Similarly, however, I can derive 'You are absolutely unable to leave'. Which of us is right?
I'd guess none of us. 🙂

Argh. This problem is really eating me up. I'm starting to believe that this problem has no solution, and that it's made up just to annoy people. I'm annoyed. It works.

O

Moves
28 Apr 03

ask the king to let you out

O

Moves
28 Apr 03

there are either missing details or the problem is made up to irritate you. maybe the room isn't really a room? it could represent a map, or <hippie> totally like an astrological star chart</hippie>. maybe the king is supposed to represent god and its some form of cryptoreligious indoctrination to be steered well clear of before the king puts cyanide in the koolaid and makes you drink it out of the bucket...

T

Moves
29 Apr 03

Is there a roof I wonder? The question as posed is indeterminate, so isn't 'solvable' as such. One hopes there's either missing info or a good pun hidden away somewhere...

z

Norway

Moves
04 May 03

Originally posted by Toe
Is there a roof I wonder? The question as posed is indeterminate, so isn't 'solvable' as such. One hopes there's either missing info or a good pun hidden away somewhere...
The information given in the first post, is all the information that is.

p
Discombobulating...

cloning vat

Moves
04 May 03

If the king can do everything, ten he can make a rock to big for him to lift and still lift it.
He does however, ruin the all the laws of physics doing so.
Thus it may now be possible to leave the room simply by snaping one's fingers.
😉