Holmes and Watson

Holmes and Watson

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T

Moves
23 Aug 06
3 edits

Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson, H and W, are told that two positive integers x and y have been chosen such that 1 < x < y and x + y < 100. H is given the value x + y and W is given the value xy. They then have the following conversation:

W: I cannot determine the two numbers.
H: I knew that.
W: Now I can determine them.
H: So can I.

Given that Holmes' and Watson's logic is impeccable and that the above statements are all true, what are the two numbers?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
24 Aug 06
1 edit

Originally posted by ThudanBlunder
Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson, H and W, are told that two positive integers x and y have been chosen such that 1 < x < y and x + y < 100. H is given the value x + y and W is given the value xy. They then have the following conversation:

W: I cannot determine the two numbers.
H: I knew that.
W: Now I can determine them.
H: So on's logic is impeccable and that the above statements are all true, what are the two numbers?
Great problem, got a chuckle from me! No idea how to actually solve it!
Ah, simultaneous equations.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
24 Aug 06

Originally posted by sonhouse
Great problem, got a chuckle from me! No idea how to actually solve it!
Ah, simultaneous equations.
The problem here isn't the simultaneous equations but the logical conditions that Holmes and Watson demonstrate. Holmes knows that Watson cannot solve the equations just based on the information he is given and once Watson knows that that is the case then he can solve the system. And once Holmes knows that Watson can now solve it so can he.

K

Moves
24 Aug 06

x=4; y=13
I could explain it, but it'd take a while... 😉

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
24 Aug 06

Originally posted by Kipyusha
x=4; y=13
I could explain it, but it'd take a while... 😉
Explanation and lengthy discussion on this problem can be found in Thread 17714.