For the Chess Novice

For the Chess Novice

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

B
Non-Subscriber

RHP IQ

Moves
21 Jul 05
1 edit

How should White continue?

In your face

Moves
21 Jul 05

Originally posted by Bowmann
[fen]r4nk1/pppbR3/7p/8/8/1P6/PB4PP/6K1[/fen]

Very gingerly.

B
Non-Subscriber

RHP IQ

Moves
21 Jul 05

Originally posted by jimslyp69
Very gingerly.
Oh, he can afford to be a little more reckless than that.

TP
Leak-Proof

under the sink

Moves
21 Jul 05

I was going to propose an answer, but I didn't want to be chastised as not being a novice and thus being a spoil sport. What would be your definition of chess novice?

a
Enola Straight

mouse mouse mouse

Moves
21 Jul 05

Originally posted by The Plumber
I was going to propose an answer, but I didn't want to be chastised as not being a novice and thus being a spoil sport. What would be your definition of chess novice?
Bowmann

T

Moves
21 Jul 05

Originally posted by ark13
Bowmann
No, he is just a novice.

C

Earth Prime

Moves
21 Jul 05
1 edit

Rg7, then the king has to move, then he can take the bishop, then the king has to move, then Rg7, then the king has to move, then he can take the pawn, then the king has to move, then Rg7.... until he can take all the pawns and the rook on the far left..??!!

Yes I am a novice

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
21 Jul 05

Easy. 1.Rg7+ Kh8 2.Rg6+!!

And do it on every square on the g-file. Watch the opponent's eyes get wide when he realizes you can do it along the 7th rank too. Enjoy the torture!

V

Moves
21 Jul 05

Excellent suggestion!

Though be careful not to repeat the position three times. Once you've captured the bishop on d7, go back to that g file plan for a few more moves. Etc.

a
Enola Straight

mouse mouse mouse

Moves
21 Jul 05

Originally posted by Vandalizer
Excellent suggestion!

Though be careful not to repeat the position three times. Once you've captured the bishop on d7, go back to that g file plan for a few more moves. Etc.
There's no danger of that if you're capturing pieces.

C

Earth Prime

Moves
21 Jul 05

There's no danger of that if you're capturing pieces.
I'd expect a 1700+ guy would know that one...

a
Enola Straight

mouse mouse mouse

Moves
21 Jul 05

Originally posted by Coconut
I'd expect a 1700+ guy would know that one...
Well, me too. But his post seemed to be to the contrary. 😛

C

Earth Prime

Moves
21 Jul 05

Well, me too. But his post seemed to be to the contrary. 😛
"FIDE rating of around 2100, I´m pretty crap. I can still beat your computer at this slow chess though, 😉. Well, if I can´t, MY computer can, heh heh."

From his profile. Perhaps the man is using some help....

a
Enola Straight

mouse mouse mouse

Moves
21 Jul 05

Originally posted by Coconut
"FIDE rating of around 2100, I´m pretty crap. I can still beat your computer at this slow chess though, 😉. Well, if I can´t, MY computer can, heh heh."

From his profile. Perhaps the man is using some help....
Nah, I don't see any proof. Probably just poorly phrased. I don't think a cheat would come out and say it like that.

V

Moves
22 Jul 05

Dudes!!

I leave this thread for ten minutes (or however long it was) and all hell breaks loose! Or something.

Anyway, first up, the draw thing. I was just suggesting that you want to be careful about how many checks you give on the g file because every time the rook returns to g7 you'd be repeating. Of course with each piece you capture you can go back to checking on the g file again. But when you're not taking anything you'd best keep count.

As for my computer, it's got that smit.fraud damn thing at the moment, so I'm on a borrowed laptop. Actually, I see it has Fritz 8 on it or something, and Chessbase Something huge. Bags I don't play it. I know that whenever I go to chess sites I often find people obsessed with ratings. Actually, that's true for OTB chess too. Frankly, I don't care about them. They're useful for seedings in Swiss tournaments and for when there's grade prizes, but that's about it.

So I guess to want a cheat, you'd need to have the desire to see a big number after your name. Having a collection of games you knew were played by a computer isn't going to give anyone much satisfaction is it? I'm sure most of us prefer playing than watching a computer play. Although I also know that a fear of losing paralyses many players.

Oh well, that's just how internet chess I guess. I remember when I was playing on chess.net, and I beat some dude in a game of blitz. He instantly informed me that I was a cheat, and that he was going to report me. Sadly it seems you can't even joke about it anymore. A bit like joking with customs officers about drugs. If someone beats me I generally assume they played better. For those who do cheat, they'll always leave traces. But because I don't care about my rating, it won't fuss me anyway. Rant over.