Easy one

Easy one

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
22 Feb 04

There are several different ways to interpret this, so I'm curious to see what people come up with:

What is the average distance from a point in or on a sphere of radius r to its center?

r

Moves
23 Feb 04
2 edits

Given any radial line in this sphere (or would that be ball?), the average - or mean - of the set of distances from the center along that raduis is clearly r/2.

Is this a trick question? 😕

-Ray.

Moves
23 Feb 04
1 edit

Originally posted by royalchicken
There are several different ways to interpret this, so I'm curious to see what people come up with:

What is the average distance from a point in or on a sphere of radius r to its center?
Hmm, If the point is selected to give an equal chance of the point being at any position within the sphere, then:

The area of a shell of radius s within the sphere is 4.pi.s^2

and the contribution of this shell of pts to the total sphere volume is
(4.pi.s^2)/(4/3.pi.r^3) = 3.s^2/r^3

to get the mean distance s we need to sum each possible s, weighted by the chance of getting that s
i.e we need to integrate 3.s^3/r^3 over all s between 0 and r
the answer is then 3/4(r^4/r^3)

= 3r/4

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
23 Feb 04

Well done, Iamatiger, your answer was the one I had in mind. Now, notice that for circles, the average distance is 2r/3, for lines, r/2, and for points obviousl 0. So can someone prove/disprove that for an n-dimensional sphere of radius r, and a Pythagorean interpretation of distance, the average distance from center to a point in the n-sphere is nr/(n+1) ?

Moves
23 Feb 04
1 edit

Well done, Iamatiger, your answer was the one I had in mind. Now, notice that for circles, the average distance is 2r/3, for lines, r/2, and for points obviousl 0. So can someone prove/disprove that for an n-dimensional sphere of rad ...[text shortened]... age distance from center to a point in the n-sphere is nr/(n+1) ?
That would be quite easy! 🙂
Perhaps you mean dist = (n-1)r/n (assuming a point is a 1d sphere)

TANSTAAFL

Walking on sunshine

Moves
23 Feb 04

Originally posted by iamatiger
That would be quite easy! 🙂
Perhaps you mean dist = (n-1)r/n (assuming a point is a 1d sphere)
A point is a 0d sphere, so I think RC had it right when he said nr/(n+1).

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
23 Feb 04

Originally posted by richjohnson
Come to think of it, a point is an n-dimensional sphere with radius 0, for all n in N 😲

Moves
24 Feb 04

Originally posted by richjohnson
Oops - my mistake - I was a D out.

f

my head

Moves
24 Feb 04

Come to think of it, a point is an n-dimensional sphere with radius 0, for all n in N 😲
n-dimensional sphere with r=0 dose not exist.

n-dimensional sphere with r=1/infinity is a point, i think.😕

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
24 Feb 04

I beg to differ. The sphere of radius r centered on the origin in n-space is the set of points (x1,x2,x3,...x4) such that:

x1^2 + x2^2 + ... +xn^2 = r^2

There is one point, namely (0,0,0...,0) that satisfies this equality when r is 0. Thus a point is a zero-radius n-sphere.

T
Kupikupopo!

Out of my mind

Moves
25 Feb 04

Doesn't the proof follow immedeately from Iamatiger's post?

The only thing we need for that is a formula for the surface and volume of a n-dimensional sphere. Research shows:

Volume V(r): r^n * pi^(n/2) * Gamma (n/2 +1)

Taking the derivative to r:
Surface S(r): n* r^(n-1) * pi^(n/2) * Gamma (n/2 +1)

Where the Gamma function is
- Gamma(z) = integral for 0 to infinity t^(z-1) * e^(-t) dt
- Gamma(z+1) = zGamma(z)
- Gamma(1)=1 and so Gamma(n)=n! for all natural n
- Gamma(1/2) = sqrt(pi)

A shell of radius s has surface S(s), and it contributes S(s)/V(r) to the total sphere.

S(s)/V(r) = n* s^(n-1) / r^n

Just as in Iamatiger's post, we need to integrate this times s from 0 to r over s. Wich gives as result:

nr / n+1

Strangely i founf many formulaes of the surface of a hypersphere, but none of them would give this result, so i resorted to taking the derivative of the volume. Try getting the same result with
S(r) = r^(n-1) * pi^(n/2) / Gamma(n/2) and you'll find yourself concluding the formula 2r/n(n+1)...

Ton

r
CHAOS GHOST!!!

Elsewhere

Moves
26 Feb 04

Originally posted by TheMaster37
Doesn't the proof follow immedeately from Iamatiger's post?

The only thing we need for that is a formula for the surface and volume of a n-dimensional sphere. Research shows:

Volume V(r): r^n * pi^(n/2) * Gamma (n/2 +1)

Taking the derivative to r:
Surface S(r): n* r^(n-1) * pi^(n/2) * Gamma (n/2 +1)

Where the Gamma function is
- Gamma(z) ...[text shortened]... -1) * pi^(n/2) / Gamma(n/2) and you'll find yourself concluding the formula 2r/n(n+1)...

Ton
You are correct!

F
Artist in Drawing

in your fridge

Moves
26 Feb 04

Can someone please explain the title of this thread?

Steffin

S
BentnevolentDictater

x10,y45,z-88,t3.1415

Moves
28 Feb 04

"The Great Circle That Went Straight" in infinite inverse steps?

S
BentnevolentDictater

x10,y45,z-88,t3.1415

Moves
29 Feb 04
1 edit

RC...

Can one use the sum of vectors tangent to the circle at all points x on the arc?

I don't really know how to state this mathmatically, so I'll just do it with words.

Given an arc on a circle, A of length R (radius) can there exist n points,
each of which can be "assigned" a vector which has a direction which is tangent to the circle and a "size" which is 1 /n.

If all vectors are then mapped to the points x on the line are linked, and retain the value of the preceeding point, then if the zeroth vector is rotated to the center of the circle, ninety degrees, all vectors rotate in that same direction and their size remains constant. The beginning of a cyclonic spin. Then the Zeroth + 1 n is rotated through ninety degrees. The spin increases inversely to the number of vectors who are realigned from tangent to be aimed at the center. Then repeat until N. In my imagination, there exists a whirlpool, unraveling into the center point, comprised of "infinite" vectors... almost. Kind of neat to envision, but I can't put it into math.