Cycling in the rain

Cycling in the rain

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
07 Dec 12

If you are wearing an anorak and trousers, then cycling in the rain can get the trousers very wet. What is the best cycling strategy to get them the least wet, e.g. I could cycle home as fast as possible, or I could repeatedly speed up and coast with legs vertical on the pedals, so my upper thighs aren't catching the rain, except this would take me longer to get home...

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
08 Dec 12

Originally posted by iamatiger
If you are wearing an anorak and trousers, then cycling in the rain can get the trousers very wet. What is the best cycling strategy to get them the least wet, e.g. I could cycle home as fast as possible, or I could repeatedly speed up and coast with legs vertical on the pedals, so my upper thighs aren't catching the rain, except this would take me longer to get home...
Goretex

c

Moves
11 Dec 12

this reminds me of a similar puzzle with the car which has no front window and no roof and the question is wether to go fast or slow to get least rain.
if you would go (theoretically) with infinite speed, your time would be 0 and you would get no rain. therefore going faster is the better option. now in this case you have the ability to get no rain while going slow as well. but my feeling tells me that this wont matter to much. my first guess is: keep pedaling.
but then again the answer could be that sometimes pedaling fast and sometimes rest would balance to regular pedaling. so it wont matter what you do. ill think more 😉

A

Moves
20 Dec 12

Put the bike in the boot of the car, and drive home... windows up of course 🙂

Moves
24 Dec 12

I have no car 🙁

Already mated

Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Moves
28 Dec 12

Originally posted by iamatiger
I have no car 🙁
Cycle between the raindrops

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
28 Dec 12

Take the trousers off, roll them up and put them under the anorak, by your belly.

K

Moves
30 Dec 12

Assuming spherical bicycles in a vacuum, you should pedal as quickly as possible to minimize the amount of water that splashes up on you.

V

Moves
18 Jan 13

Originally posted by crazyblue
this reminds me of a similar puzzle with the car which has no front window and no roof and the question is wether to go fast or slow to get least rain.
if you would go (theoretically) with infinite speed, your time would be 0 and you would get no rain. therefore going faster is the better option. now in this case you have the ability to get no rain while ...[text shortened]... metimes rest would balance to regular pedaling. so it wont matter what you do. ill think more 😉
Except if you moved at infinite speed, you'd still hit rain drops horizontally in front of you.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
18 Jan 13

Originally posted by Kareemelbadry
...spherical bicycles in a vacuum...
No idea what to do with that information.

Moves
19 Jan 13

I was expecting some calculations based on the falling speed of the rain and how much rain my legs catch when coasting (banging into rain drops) or pedalling (lower legs bang into rain drops & rain falls onto upper thighs). Seeing as rain falls faster than I pedal it seems like the thighs catching rain probably dominate