any idea?

any idea?

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

d

Moves
26 Oct 06

darkness is just a thing, like light, however un like light it has no speed, it is always there. the light just gives the eye a reflection of the object that we "see".

to bring up another point how do we know that things relly are what we "see".

d

Moves
26 Oct 06

that's rubbish, light is a thing but darkness is not.

d

Moves
27 Oct 06
2 edits

Originally posted by danandi1
that's rubbish, light is a thing but darkness is not.
true, darkness is just the lack of light, however in an abstract way darkness is a thing, just like every thing else known to man

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
27 Oct 06

Originally posted by drumset04
true, darkness is just the lack of light, however in an abstract way darkness is a thing, just like every thing else known to man
No actually darkness isn't anything. Light is made up of photons. Darkness isn't made up of anything at all.

d

Moves
27 Oct 06

Originally posted by drumset04
That's correct but a stupid way to look at it - basically saying that physically darkness is not a thing but you are classing it as one because it is a noun such as humility or stupidity, they have no physical presence. This is a physics problem not an english question

r

Moves
27 Oct 06

so what exist within darkness? if you are saying darkness is not made up of nothing then it must be made up of something... therefore, if something exist within darkness it must have speed; otherwise how could that something move? if a room is lit, and the bulb is switched off, what is the speed at which darkness will hit the lightbulb? surely it must be the same as light as nothing exist outside of these two states

k

Moves
27 Oct 06

Originally posted by rooktakesqueen
what's the speed of darkness..?
darkness, the absence of light, moves as fast as the light leaves, right?

r

Moves
27 Oct 06

also, a few people have stated darkness is the absence of light, thats not strictly true, as the purest original state is darkness, before there was anything there was darkness, even before the earliest stars were born, therefore, just to clarify, light is the absence of darkness, not the other way round

d

Moves
27 Oct 06

also, a few people have stated darkness is the absence of light, thats not strictly true, as the purest original state is darkness, before there was anything there was darkness, even before the earliest stars were born, therefore, just to clarify, light is the absence of darkness, not the other way round
Actually you are wrong, just because light did not exist does not mean that it could not be absent, it means it had to be absent. As was mentioned earlier darkness is a state and light is a physical thing so whether it was there first or not, darkness is the absence of light.

NOTE: It is not technically wrong to say light is the absence of darkness but this statement must be derived from the defenition 'darkness is the absence of light'.

r

Moves
27 Oct 06

so what is within darkness? and if there is something within it surely it must have speed and that something then moves. could someone please answer my previous question, if a lightbulb is switched off, what is the speed at which darkness hits the bulb? surely it must be the same speed as light as nothing exist within these two states

d

Moves
27 Oct 06

so what is within darkness? and if there is something within it surely it must have speed and that something then moves. could someone please answer my previous question, if a lightbulb is switched off, what is the speed at which darkness hits the bulb? surely it must be the same speed as light as nothing exist within these two states
you are talking rubbish, darkness is a state, not a thing, anything can be in darkness except light (photons) and can travel at any speed in the darkness but as i said before darkness, by defenition, must propergate at the speed of light.

K

Moves
27 Oct 06

there's no such thing as darkness, only a lack of light which is what people have said.

It's similar to Cold, there is no cold, only a low level of heat. I keep correcting my friend when she says "close the door, you're letting the cold in."

r

Moves
27 Oct 06

you have stated there's no such thing as darkness, but before there was anything there was darkness; darkness existed before there was light

d

Moves
27 Oct 06

you have stated there's no such thing as darkness, but before there was anything there was darkness; darkness existed before there was light
This can still be true, although technically before there was anything nothing could be observed.

b

Somewhere

Moves
28 Oct 06

hmm, i think that darkness is a thing, as light is, but rather a transparent thing such that light can cover it up.