A trip to Asia

A trip to Asia

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D

Moves
15 Mar 04

A man was on a treck across Asia. Along the way he was caught by robbers. Thay ordered them to make a statement about himself. If he told a trouth he would be hanged, but if he told a lie they would shoot him. After a few min. of thought he uttered something that confussed the robbers so much that they let him go. What did he say? If you can't getit messege me.

T
Kupikupopo!

Out of my mind

Moves
16 Mar 04

Originally posted by DumDum81
A man was on a treck across Asia. Along the way he was caught by robbers. Thay ordered them to make a statement about himself. If he told a trouth he would be hanged, but if he told a lie they would shoot him. After a few min. of thought he uttered something that confussed the robbers so much that they let him go. What did he say? If you can't getit messege me.
"What i am saying now isn't true"

Barefoot Chessplayer

central usa

Moves
16 Mar 04
3 edits

A man was on a trek across Asia. Along the way he was caught by robbers. Thay ordered him to make a statement about himself. If he told a truth he would be hanged, but if he told a lie they would shoot him. After he spoke, they let him go. What did he say? If you can't get it messege me.
he says, "i will be killed by bullets [or by being shot]".
the robbers are thus faced with a paradox:
if they take his statement as true, then they hang him and the statement has been rendered false. if they take the statement as a lie, then they shoot him, making the statement true!
the robbers thus have no choice but to release the wily trekker.

D

Moves
18 Mar 04

You got the answer BarefootChessPlayer! (they could have hung him to half dead though)🙄

T
Kupikupopo!

Out of my mind

Moves
21 Mar 04

What about my answer? It is a statement about what he's saying, and thus about himself. Also, the robbers can't determine whether the statement is true or false, since that statement is a paradox.

Moves
23 Mar 04
2 edits

Originally posted by BarefootChessPlayer
he says, "[b]i will be killed by bullets [or by being shot]".
the robbers are thus faced with a paradox:
if they take his statement as true, then they hang him and the statement has been rendered false. if they ta ...[text shortened]...
the robbers thus have no choice but to release the wily trekker.[/b]
Clearly sensible bandits would then balance the man on a chair - set up the noose round his neck, and then shoot at the chair legs until it collapsed. It's somewhat safer for him to state "I won't be killed by hanging".

Moves
23 Mar 04
1 edit

A man was on a treck across Asia. Along the way he was caught by robbers. Thay ordered them to make a statement about himself. If he told a trouth he would be hanged, but if he told a lie they would shoot him. After a few min. of thoug ...[text shortened]... ey let him go. What did he say? If you can't getit messege me.
Or he could say - "My sister's name is Joanne". Seeing as the robbers would have no way of verifyiing / disproving this statement they would again have to let him go. Or would they? Most robbers would decide the man had either lied or told the truth and would hang him AND shoot him - since they never stated they wouldn't do both.

D

Moves
23 Mar 04

They would take his word for it

Barefoot Chessplayer

central usa

Moves
24 Mar 04

Originally posted by iamatiger
Clearly sensible bandits would then balance the man on a chair - set up the noose round his neck, and then shoot at the chair legs until it collapsed. It's somewhat safer for him to state "I won't be killed by hanging".
i like that!
frankly, if i found myself in such a predicament, i'd be unlikely to come up with a suitable statement.
here is a slightly different concept:
in logic, a statement is any assertion that is either true or false.
what is the shortest english assertion that is not a statement?
(imperative sentences such as "go" and vague answers to specific questions such as 'i am[ not]", "i do[ not]", and "i will[ not]" are not assertions.)

Moves
24 Mar 04

i like that!
frankly, if i found myself in such a predicament, i'd be unlikely to come up with a suitable statement.
here is a slightly different concept:
in logic, a statement is any assertion that is either true or false.
what is the shortest english assertion that is not a statement?
(imperative sentences such as "go" and ...[text shortened]... ific questions such as 'i am[ not]", "i do[ not]", and "i will[ not]" are not assertions.)
Hmm, I don't really know what qualifies as a statement but I'll have a go anyway...

"This isn't a statement"?

Barefoot Chessplayer

central usa

Moves
24 Mar 04

Hmm, I don't really know what qualifies as a statement but I'll have a go anyway...
i would classify that as a false assertion and therefore a statement.
in order for an assertion not to be a statement, it would have to be both true and false simultaneously, be neither (which is usually not an assertion at all), or be a paradox whose truth or falsity is indeterminate.

q

I'm in Checkmate

Moves
24 Mar 04

In communication a statement is considered false if it contains a paradox, for example:

the sentence below is false
the sentence above is true.

would be false as it is a paradox.

Moves
24 Mar 04

Ok - you're right, obviously false that one 🙂

how about:
"This sentence is false."?

Barefoot Chessplayer

central usa

Moves
24 Mar 04

Ok - you're right, obviously false that one 🙂

how about:
"This sentence is false."?
right idea, but there is one that is shorter!
i hope everyone understands why "this sentence is false" is not a statement (by the definition given previously)!

Moves
24 Mar 04

right idea, but there is one that is shorter!
i hope everyone understands why "this sentence is false" is not a statement (by the definition given previously)!
"I am lying"?